Chapter Four

Dick woke up and tiredly opened his eyes. A bright light seemed to be right in front of his face; which caused him to shut his eyes immediately. It felt as if he had just stared at the sun, but it was ten times closer and brighter.

This time, he slowly opened his eyes, letting them adjust. He could see clearly now, so he looked around the room.

He was lying down on a metal table, and was- was strapped to it?! Why was he strapped to a table?! He looked around the room once again; giving any clues to the situation he was in. It looked like a hospital. The walls were a dull color, and everything else was white. And of course there was the blinding light right above him.

Dick looked around for any sharpe objects to cut the straps with. Maybe he was kidnapped? Wait... where even was he before all of this?

He thought back and tried to remember anything.

There was nothing.

It was quite frustrating not having any memory of how you got somewhere or where you came from.

Dick tried to pull at the straps, trying to make them rip apart or something. He didn't really know what would happen if he pulled at them, but that didn't matter. What mattered, was his escape. He couldn't be in some strange hospital! Who knows what they'd do to him!

When the straps seemed to be as tight as they originally were after much tugging and thrashing, Dick gave up. He'd just have to wait and see what happens.

After about a minute of waiting, someone entered the room. Dick tried to crane his neck up to see the new arrival, but was too stuck on the table to move much.

"Ah, I see you are awake Mr. Grayson." A man with a French accent said.

"Do not worry, we will not hurt you." Another man, this time with a German accent said. Wait... he recognized that voice.

He tried to move his head up again, but to no avail. "Who are you and why am I strapped to a table?!" Dick yelled at them.

"So you do not move, of course." The French one said; who was annoyingly speaking in a calm tone. Dick didn't know why it bothered him, but it did.

"Why am I even here?!" He screamed at the two strangers.

"Dick, do not worry, everything will be alright." The German man said.

"Who do you think you are to tell me that?!"

He assumed the German man came up to him -he couldn't tell who was who based off their voices- and looked down at him. His face was barely visible, for the light behind him made his face seem pitch black.

"Because, Mr. Grayson," he paused, adding terrible suspense, "I am legally your father."

Dick just stared at the man incredulously. Why would his "father" let him be strapped to a table?! But... he couldn't remember who his parents were. So maybe this guy was telling the trut- Dick stopped his train of thought, after he realized something.

"What do you mean "legally"?" Dick asked. The man laughed, and it sent shivers down Dick's spine. It wasn't a laugh after someone tells a joke, or from a happy moment; it was mocking, and cold.

"Mr. Grayson, you have much to learn." He saw the man grab something as he spoke, and then felt a prick in his arm. Seconds later, his body felt as if it was on fire.