Chapter Seven

Dick stared at the table in front of him; hundreds of questions running through his mind.

Who were those people?

What were they doing to me?

Why did it seem like I had... super hearing?

And the biggest question he had,

Why did Dad make them brainwash me?

"-ick? Are you okay?"

Dick snapped out of his thoughts. "Huh?" He mumbled staring up towards the voice.

Bruce looked worriedly down at him. "I asked if you were okay?" He repeated.

"Oh. Yeah I'm fine. Feeling the aster." Dick replied with a smile. Bruce just stared at him like he'd grown another head.

"Are you sure you're alright to go on patrol tonight?"

Now Dick was the one to stare at Bruce as if he'd grown another head. Of course he wanted to go on patrol!

"Yes!" He exclaimed.

Bruce gave a small smile and nodded.

"Alright. Let's get going then."

They were already in their suits, so they were ready to patrol Gotham.

At least, that's what they thought they'd do.

•••

"Soon, he will join us."

"But what about them! They are dangerous! They are the only people that actually pose a threat to us!"

"He has potential. They will waste that potential and make him a mind controlled zombie! We will need a leader soon, and he is too young. Dick is the best option."

"...Yes, of course."

•••

"They plan on taking him."

"I know. But they are foolish and do not know who they are fighting. We need our next leader, and he is what's left of the bloodline. We will get him soon, and he will join us."

•••

Batman and Owl stood atop a rooftop, surveying the city below.

"Does it usually take this long for something to happen?" Owl asked, clearly bored.

"No. It's... too quiet. The criminals are either planning something, or getting ready for a turf war." He then added, "Which would be bad." Owl still needed to learn some things, and now was a great time to teach.

Owl just nodded his head and hummed, probably thinking something over.

After waiting another hour, they finally heard something; a scream. Batman immediately took off into the direction of the noise, Owl following close behind.

Once they arrived, they saw that it was nothing more then a petty criminal trying to rob a poor woman. Owl leapt into action and swung down towards the ground. As he approached the thief, he stuck his foot out and knocked the criminal in the head.

"What the hell?!" They looked around confused and then spotted the hero. The thief's face blanched and they ran away at the sight of the Bat's sidekick. Anyone in relation the the Bat was bad news.

But before he could get even a few steps away, the Batman himself landed in front of the criminal. He fell backwards in surprise, and painfully landed onto the hard filthy ground of Gotham.

"Please have mercy! I didn't even take anything from 'er!" The pathetic thief begged.

"You can either turn yourself in, or I can make you." Batman said in his trademark gruff voice; his glare practically boring holes into the meek villain.

"Alright! Alright! I'll turn myself in! Just don't hurt me!" The thief brought his arms up to his head, trying to shield himself from the terrifying Bat.

"Owl." Batman got Owl's attention.

"Yes Br- Batman?"

"Make sure he gets to the station."

Owl sighed, but did as he was told. "Alright let's go guy." He looked back to see if Batman was still there, but of course, he had disappeared.

"He's kinda creepy huh?" The thief asked.

"Well he needs to intimidate you guys somehow." Owl said thoughtlessly. I probably shouldn't talk to a criminal. But... does it really matter? I'm one too. Dick almost laughed out loud, but stopped himself.

It was ironic; him, actually a criminal, taking out other criminals. But it's not like he hasn't done it before.

•••

"I have our next mission ready." Slade announced.

"Oh, oh, what is it?!" Dick exclaimed, jumping up and down excitedly. Even if he was a mercenary in training, he was still a child.

Slade chuckled, and then explained what they had to do. "To put it simply, one gang wants another gang gone."

"Cool! So what're we gonna do?!" Dick asked, excited to be able to work with his father.

"We'll be taking the boss out of course."

"So when do we go?"

"Tonight if you'd like." Slade said with a small smile. He liked to see Dick happy. He was glad that he didn't have to remember the terrible things he had been through.

Dick smiled wide. This would be so cool! He hasn't been on a mission in forever!

•••

Owl stopped himself from remembering the happy memories. He still had to figure out his most recent dream. He needed his questions answered.

And then, he had an idea.

Batman would probably get mad. But only if he found out. Dick smirked. He could do this.

But then he heard footsteps. Owl looked around, and saw the criminal was no longer with him. Dammit! Actually, that works well with his plan.

So, Dick left and made his way to one of Slade's safe houses. They needed to talk.

•••

Sorry this was a short chapter. And kinda lame. Next chapter should be interesting tho!

Have a great day! Love y'all!

Word count: 878