Chapter Two

Dick sat behind Slade on his motorcycle as they sped down the road. He would have rode his own, but only Slade would be coming back from this trip. He was going to be dropped off at Cadmus, and then wait for the sidekicks to find him.

He knew they'd be there, because The Light said they would be. And The Light almost new everything. So he didn't question their judgement.

A few minutes later, they arrived behind the Cadmus building. They both hopped off the bike and faced each other. "Well, I'll communicate with you soon." Was all Slade said.

Dick nodded his understanding. "Just," Slade thought for a moment, "just remember your training and everything I've told you. And," Slade kneeled down to Dick's height and put a hand on his shoulder. "Remember that- that I... love you, son. If anything happens, just know that I'll be watching over you and will be there to protect you." He said sincerely.

Dick smiled at his father and decided something. He lunged forward and wrapped his arms around him and whispered, "Thanks, dad." Slade returned the hug.

A few moments later Slade let go and got more serious. "Ok. It's time for you to get going." Dick nodded and headed off towards the back entrance to Cadmus. But before he entered he turned back and waved with a smile on his face. Slade waved back and then got onto his bike, hoping that this mission would be quick. But he knew it wouldn't be. And he knew that after it was all over, nothing would be the same.

But maybe if he played his cards right... things would be ok...

•••

Dick headed towards the elevator and got in unnoticed. Even though he was wearing raggedy clothing and was covered in dirt -to look the part of a mistreated child- nobody looked his way. They didn't know of the mission, but they had seen stranger things.

He pressed the secret button that would take him to floor -51 and descended down into the ground. Not even ten seconds later, he arrived.

He went to the clone's room and hid in the rafters. When the sidekicks would all eventually get captured, Dick would help them escape.

•••

Dick sat silently in the interrogation room. The plan was going perfectly.

The kiddy team rescued Dick and the clone, and now they were at the Justice League's old hideout.

He could hear that the League was deciding who to interrogate first. They didn't know if the two boys were spies. They had to be cautious.

Apparently they decided to question the clone first, since no one came into Dick's room. But he knew a few leaguers were out side watching him through the one way mirror.

He was deep in thought, staring at his hands, when Batman came in. He cleared his throat loud enough for Dick to hear. His head snapped up and looked at Batman. Here we go. Dick thought to himself. Now to put up the act.

Dick slightly cowered down at the sight of the Bat. That was expected. Any child -even adult- would be afraid of Batman.

"Hello." Batman said in his usual rough voice. He took the seat in front of Dick and folded his hands on the table. "What is your name?" Batman wasn't using his normal interrogation voice, but rather a gentler one. He felt bad for the kid. Who knows what he'd been through. But he still needed to be questioned. For all they knew, he could be a spy. But Batman highly doubted it.