eighteen.

LINGERING SHADOWS

The Forbidden Forest was as eerie and dark as always. Every nook and crook housed monsters and terrors far beyond human knowledge, but all of them cowered before the woman. This woman was unlike any person they have ever encountered in their years of existence. She radiated boundless power and strength. For once in their mediocre lives, the monsters felt fear.

The mysterious lady paid them no mind for meager beings did not deserve her attention, besides, she has urgent business to attend to. She makes her way swiftly and smoothly to a wide clearing situated at the heart of the forest.

"My lady," greeted the half-man half-horse kneeling on both his fore and hind legs, showing his utmost respect for the cloaked woman. She pulls down the hood hiding her immaculate face, revealing her identity to the centaur. Raising a hand in dismissal, "Time is ticking, we must finish things quickly and be done with this trivial matter."

"Yes m'lady," replied the centaur whose face was hidden by the shadows of the enormous trees that loomed over the clearing. "The plan is moving as planned, sire. The girl is being kept a close eye on by the spy in the castle, her participation in the task is already being worked on."

A scowl forms on the woman's pale face, making the centaur flinch and bow his head. Frustration bubbled in the lady's body as she sneered, "Being worked on? The task is a week away! My vision on her has been growing dimmer day by day, I need to see her finished soon!"

The centaur does not speak for he feared that one wrong word would bring an end to his life. The seething woman grumbles a few incoherent words before saying, "You have had the chance to finish her yourself, why have you not done so? Weak half-breeds, I would have finished her myself if only those damned half-bloods haven't contacted the other gods."

"My deepest apologies, lady Hera."

The woman dismisses the centaur with another wave of her hand. She had never planned to kill the young girl, but as the weeks passed and the war continued to brew darker, Hera knew she could not afford to have another Achilles' heel of the gods.

For family, Hera reasons.

Oh, how very ironic.

-

Exhausted from all the sleepless nights, Patricia runs to the only place she could think of: the Astronomy Tower. The chilly breeze of the evening accompanied by the twinkling stars adorning the cape of dark blue was enough to ease the tension on the young girl's shoulders.

However, the sight of a platinum haired boy at the railings reminded her of another problem she had yet to deal with. How great her luck is to run from a problem only to encounter another.

"Didn't think you'd be here, Malfoy," she says, slowly moving to stand next to him. The Slytherin stays quiet, his gray eyes focused on the stars and the quarter moon that was smiling down at them. Patricia ignores the awkward atmosphere surrounding them, opting to focus on the calm sight before them.

"What, can't a guy admire the stars?"

"No. But there's something wrong," said Patricia, a frown on her face as she faces him. "Why were you ignoring me all of a sudden?"

Draco freezes, his face tensing before he exhales, putting on the same, nonchalant and cool facade as he turns to face her with a smirk. His gray eyes turn silver in the moonlight as he gazes at the disheveled brunette, "My, will you look at that? The great Pat Waterson does notice me after all."