Chapter 7: Bundimun and Bunnies

The Discovery of Barty crouch's body caused a panic to spread through the school. Hermione was convinced that the rest of the tournament would be canceled and that the students from Durmstang and Beauxbatons would be sent home. To their surprise, it was announced that the tournament would finish and that the third and final task would take place as scheduled. 

Rumors spread around the school rapidly about who had had the final say in the tournament continuing. Some said Fudge while others said Dumbledore. Madison, who did not fully trust Dumbledore, was easily swayed to believe that he had been the one to encourage the tournament to continue. Harry tried to defer her of this motion, having been eavesdropping when the conversation happened, but with little to no success. 

Even with the uneasiness that clouded over Hogwarts, the school was growing brighter and more lively than before. Spring had come, at last, the grounds now covered with fresh green grass and brightly colored foliage. The air was filled with the sweet smell of flowers, lifting the spirits of even the most ill-tempered of students. With the passing of the frosty winds came a gentle warmth, allowing students to put away their winter robes and dragon skin gloves. The growing warmth took many of the student's minds off of the death that had occurred weeks prior, but some were still worried that whoever had murdered Barty crouch was still at large and a danger to them all. 

"It's truly ridiculous!" grumbled Hermione, walking down the stone steps that led to Hagrid's hut. "I cannot believe that they are actually allowing outdoor classes to resume when they still have no idea how he ended up in the woods. Hagrid's class takes place in those very woods! Anything could happen out there!"

Ron rolled his eyes, having heard these complaints many times before. He continued to walk alongside Madison, Harry, and Hermione walking ahead of them. "Hermione we will be fine. We will be all together in a group and all have our wands. Plus, we will have Hagrid there with us too" Madison countered, hoping she could get her to stop complaining. Ron sent a look of concern in Madison's direction, almost warning her that she'd just poked the bear. Her comment sent Hermione off on a new tangent, now rambling on about how they wouldn't be able to defend themselves if a fully trained wizard failed to do so. 

To Madison's relief, Hagrid was awaiting the class at the edge of the forest, beginning his instruction the second they showed up which silenced Hermione. 

"Morni'n ev'ry one! Today we'll be takin a look at a very unique creat're. Profes'r Snape has asked me to collect some ingredients for 'im so we're turn'in it into a lesson." Hagrid announced, beginning to walk into the forest as everyone followed. " Today we're lookin' for a beast called a Bundimun. They're a wee bit tricky to find but I'm sure ya'll do just fine. Just keep yur' eye out for any moss that's green 'ur yellow. To check if it's a Bundimun, get close enough to see if it's got eyes but not close enough for it to hurt ya. Those little buggers get annoyed easily so be careful. The goop they use to defend themsel'ves can decay entire buildin's. Once you know its one of em, give me a hollar" 

Once fully instructed, groups went off by themselves to search for the Bundimun. Hagrid told them all to stay close enough so he could still see them. Draco Malfoy and his goons of course ignored this warning and went deeper into the woods than they were told, disappearing from view. Hagrid realized a group was missing his eyes going wide. "I'll be righ' back. Everyone stay here but keep lookin" He said, before heading away from them to look for his missing students. Hermione glared in the direction of her friends as if to say 'i told you so'. 

"Come on," Madison said, ignoring Hermione's reaction and grabbing Ron's hand. Madison led him a couple of feet from the group so they could search for the Bundimun, while also not having to listen to Hermione's scolding.