Chapter 6

First off, so sorry for the delay for this chapter.  Second, hopefully, it will be worth the wait.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

The Royal Guard picked Carla and Mateo up once Elena's family hot the word to them where they were.  King Victor met them as soon as the carriage door opened.  "Are you hurt?"  He pulled both of them into a tight hug.

"W-we're fine," Mateo answered.  He had to admit that it was nice to be in his father's arms.  It had been a while.

"Yeah, there was a really nice familia that helped us.  We're ok, páppy."

"Thank goodness!"  The king sighed with relief.  "Come inside."

The step siblings followed the king into the castle.  It had been a day, they had to admit.   Not what anyone of them had hoped for.  Personally, since nothing bad really happened, they couldn't exactly say it was horrible.  Sure, they almost died, but they made some new friends.  That was something they hadn't done in a long time.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

It had been days since the terrorist attack on the royal siblings.  Since then, Naomi had notices how strange Elena had been acting.  She heard that the family harbored the Prince and Princess of Avalor, which could make anyone a little shocked or surprised.  However, that wasn't what was going on with Elena.  As her best friend, Naomi decided that she would get to the bottom of things.

"Esteban," she called as she strided up to him.

"Uh, hi?  If you're looking for Elena, she went to the park to pick flowers," Esteban answered.

"Actually, you are the person I'm looking for," Naomi reported.

"Oh?  Why?"

"It's about Elena.  Has she seemed, I don't know... acting weird lately?"

Esteban shrugged.  "I wouldn't know. Girls can just be weird sometimes."  Naomi put her hands on her hips.  Esteban frowned.  "It is true, but I did not mean it in a mean way."

"Never mind, doesn't matter," Naomi shook her head.  "The point is, why?  Her head's been in the clouds, she doesn't focus when I'm talking to her and she literally ran into a tree this morning."

"That is strange, even for Elena," Esteban admitted.

"Maybe we should ask Isa," Naomi suggested.

"Ask me what?"  Right on cue, the eleven year old girl came out of the chocolate shop an into the yard.  She stood next to her cousin and looked at Naomi.

"Have you noticed how strange Elena has been acting?"  Naomi pressed.

"Oh, that.  I wouldn't say odd though.  A lot of people get a little off base when they fall in love," Isa shrugged.

"Fall in what?"  Naomi and Esteban exclaimed in unison, looking at each other on horror.  "What are you talking about?  Did she tell you?"

"No, I just observed.  As a scientist, I play close attention to the things around me and put the pieces of the puzzle together," Isa explained.

"Do you know who?"

"Isn't obvious?  Elena's heart has been swooped away by the prince," Isa answered as a matter of fact.

"What?!"  Esteban and Naomi cried.  They hadn't expected Elena to suddenly fall in love.  They were for it, but it was who she had fallen in love with that was scary.  She was a commoner.  It would be impossible for her to have a chance with a prince.

"And the funny part is," Isa continued, "Is that I don't think that she even realizes it yet!  People can be so unaware sometimes, but I get that this is probably difficult for her to comprehend."

"This is bad," Naomi whispered.

"Why?  Shouldn't it be great?"  Isa asked in confusion.

"Isa, she's in love with a prince.  We're commoners," Esteban pointed out.

Isa's eyes widened as she gasped.  "Oh, no!  I didn't think if that!  I was just so excited about it that..."

"We may have ourselves a problem," Naomi muttered.