Chapter 7

I wanted to write something short an wholesome bc I'm tired, but I wanted to write despite the fact that my brain wants to be pudding. Hopefully, my writing's somewhat decent.

I also made the picture earlier this week. It took hours to get it just right, lol. The funny thing is that I even colored over a screenshot of Rapunzel.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Elena had originally gone out to pick wild flowers, but she got distracted. She found herself at the castle gates, looking up at it. She wondered what he was doing that very moment. What was his life like? Was he bored or tired?

She shook her head. Why was he plaguing her thoughts so much? He continually came to mind around every turn. It was like a wheel that spun and just keep coming back. Or a boomerang that you would through and it would come back to you after you tried to discard it.

"Excuse me," someone called to her.

"Uh... me?" Elena looked over in surprise.

"Yes, you. Are you the new maid that's supposed to be working in the castle? Because if you are, you're super late," the girl said.

"No, I'm not... I'm the girl that makes chocolate a couple blocks down. I'm just looking at the castle," Elena admitted, blushing.

The girl groaned. "Right... I really need some people that will actually come to work on time... Say, if you need a job, mind coming for an interview? Of course I'll have to ask around to get to know the public opinion of you. But it wouldn't hurt for an interview, right? We're so low on maids lately."

"M-me? W-work in there?" Elena asked in surprise.

"Sure. Any honest soul has a chance," the maid replied. "Only if you want to give it a shot though," she said.

"Um... I'll talk to my familia first, make sure I'm not needed in the chocolate store... when would there be an interview?"

"Tomorrow at one thirty. That's when interviews begin. Tell them that Antonia Bello puts a good word in for you."

"Thank you. I'm Elena Castillo Flores."

"Well, pleasure to meet you. For the record, I hope you get the higher position."

"Higher position?" Elena inquired.

"Oh, most of the openings are like the laundry maids, the cooking maids, and the ones that do all the dirty jobs. But they have an opening for the princess's maid."

"Wait, won't they just promote someone?"

"Nah, I'm already on of them and the other girls don't want a promotion... I'll warn you why. You get paid pretty well, but it might mean you're more liked to run into Queen Ash. She's pretty bad tempered. So if you can handle that, you'll have no problems, I'm sure."

"Oh, wow. That's a pretty big position to just be hired in at," Elena breathed.

"I can't promise it, but if you do, we'll be working together a lot."

"I'll definitely think about it," Elena said at last.

"Great! I gotta go, but see ya around!" Antonia exclaimed before running off.

Elena rushed back home. She noticed Esteban, Isa and Naomi standing outside. "Guy, guys, you're not going to believe this!" Elena cried.

"What?" Naomi asked.

"I'm invited to an interview to become a castle maid. There's a chance I can become the Princess's maid as well! Can you believe it."

"Nope," Esteban stated.

"Wow! Really? That's amazing!" Isa exclaimed.

"You mean like working in the palace?" Naomi repeated. That meant Elena had more chances to run into Mateo. That was either good, or really bad.

"What's all the fuss about?" Elena's father opened the door to the house, his face bright with a smile.

"Elena got offered a job in the castle," Isa exclaimed.

"I have to go to the interview first," Elena added.

"Do you want a job in the castle?" Her father asked in surprise. "I thought you liked the chocolate shop."

"I do! I love it, and I love making chocolate with my familia, but..."

"You want to experience the world on your own a bit, is that it?" Her mother walked up, drying her hands on a towel.

Elena nodded. Her parents looked at each other for a moment. Then her father sighed. "Alright."

"Thank you, pápa! Thank you, máma!" Elena hugged her parents.