32. Mrs. Garrett. - Nick

It's been barely a year since I met Sierra

It's been barely a year since I met Sierra. We're young, and we've been told it's reckless to get married at this age. But now that we have each other, how would I ever move on? How would I ever want anybody else?

Plenty has tried to trip us up: jealousy, friendships, sociopathic ex-girlfriends. Those same things helped us grow as we came out the other side stronger. Relationships are hard work, and I'm willing to do my share of the nitty-gritty.

Excited chatter from guests floats to the back where I stand shoulder to shoulder with my brother Luke, arms folded over our chests. The day we asked Luke over lunch if he would be our best man, he made us look away as he sniffled, composing himself, before accepting. Today, he's been grinning nonstop.

"Whenever you're ready," he says, nudging me. "Though you look like you're going to hurl."

"Yeah?" I mutter. "Thanks." Sucking in a deep breath, I wander toward the front, casually greeting people, Luke a few feet behind me. Cheese and rice. Why do we know so many people? How much longer until we get started?

We reach the front, and face the chairs, scanning the space from another perspective. Everything is beautiful; all of the details are the romantic flair SiSi and my mom strived for. I bet they're both thrilled with how they pulled things off.

I shake my head from spacing out too long; anxiously awaiting for things to start. Josh Pena sends me a wink and a gun as he catches my eye while escorting Sierra's college roommate Onalee to a seat.

"You okay?" Luke murmurs, eyeing the event coordinator Deborah. Her heels clack on the path as she strides over with the energy of a toddler at Chuck E. Cheese.

"Uhh, yes, I'm excited, but nervous, too." I exhale a long breath. "Just ready for it to start," I say, bouncing on the balls of my feet to expound some of the nervous energy.

Deborah hooks microphones up to our lapels, aiming a finger at us in warning and reminding us they're on, so we'd better be careful. The atmosphere in the venue changes as our waiting around bleeds into the ceremony beginning.

SiSi's nephew and nieces walk toward us first; the girls throwing their rose petals gleefully. They're roughly ten and twelve, but think the experience is fun, not childish. Corey is six and feeling himself as he walks down the aisle along, clutching a ring box in each hand.

Her brother Leo and mom enter together next, followed by my parents. As they near the front, I take in their proud expressions. "Mom's going to start sobbing in a sec," Luke whispers.

I force my eyes shut. "Yeah, unfortunately, she's not the only one."

"Dad definitely will."

Sniffing, I open my eyes. "When did I become our parents?"

Natalia glows as she walks down the aisle with my cousin Drew. It's incredible how happy she is for Sierra. Brian and Ariella, and Mateo and Stephanie follow immediately after.

Anxiety prickles the back of my neck, but I force myself to stand tall. I've seen her already, but when she lifts her gaze to find mine, I lose it. Shaking my head, I wipe a hand over my mouth, pinching my lower lip. "I'll never understand how I got so lucky," I tell Luke.

"You guys deserve each other," he says, "In a nice way."

I press my tie to my eyes. "Thanks, Lukey," I say, glancing at him.

My heart twinges when I look back at my bride, wondering if she's thinking about her dad. Then she laughs. Presumably at me using my tie like a barbarian. The sound of Sierra's giggle has me grinning, and I throw my arms up in victory as the crowd joins in.

Alex shakes my hand, then grasps our shoulders. "Be good to each other."

"We will," I promise, kissing each of Sierra's hands.

As Alex steps off, and the officiant begins speaking, SiSi ignores him, hugging my neck. "Hey there, my amazing husband."

I squeeze her back, burying my face into her neck, choked up. "Hi, baby. My sunshine girl."

The ceremony is so short, you'll miss it if you blink. Her voice shakes as she starts her vows, and I press my thumb to the back of her hand to let her know I don't care. I just want to hear her. I clear my throat, stroking her jawline while diving in.

I clear my throat, getting ready to say my vows. "My life before you was great."

Brian snickers behind me, and I glance over my shoulder, poking my tongue against my molar before continuing. Sierra simultaneously beams and suppresses tears as I look at my sheet again for the next part I wanted to say. "I had my amazing family and friends, and I wasn't looking for love, but that didn't matter.

"Your sunshine personality drew me in, and your soft heart and constant sarcasm kept me around. I couldn't stop thinking about you after we met. We gravitated to each other because it was always supposed to be you and me."

"For the rest of our life together, let's take care of each other. We'll laugh every day, be brutally honest, and I'll make sure you know how beautiful and precious you are to me. I'll always have your back, even when you're unbelievably sassy."

She nods, tears streaming. "Okay. Sounds good."

Vows and rings exchanged, they pronounce us as married, and I'm leaning in to give her a hot kiss until Natalia smacks us with flowers. They understand, right? My dream girl just married me! I don't really care if they don't.

"Too late to elope now," she says gleefully as we hurry away hand-in-hand from the cheering crowd to steal a moment alone.

We pause at the end of the aisle, and I slip my phone from my pocket. "Hey, my beautiful wife, will you smile for me?"

She shakes her head, laughing. "This is so Nick. But, for you? Anything, anytime, anywhere."

I take some quick photos and then stand behind her, holding my phone out for a few selfies of us, speaking in her ear. "You look so gorgeous."

She turns in my arms and presses her mouth to mine. "I love you, Nicholas James."

I cup her face with my hand. "That's good, 'cause I love you."

"Can we steal one minute away before pictures? I have a present for you..."