28. Is everything okay? - Sierra

Anywhere with Nick feels like home; even a several-hour car ride with my door braced against the passenger door, the seatbelt cutting into my shoulder

Halfway to our destination, we popped into a gas station, but not since. A cool breeze rushes languidly over me from the air conditioning, and every so often he caresses my legs.

It's cozy, but I'm seriously over the journey. I'm ready to skip to the good part. We're nearly to the resort, and I've zoned out in the car for the last half hour while Nick drives, my legs slung over the console, resting in his lap. I've only seen photos of the wedding site, but it's stunning.

The resort is split into several lodges, and a popular spot for golfing, skiing, and spa treatments. Our outdoor ceremony will be held under a square chuppah overlooking a scintillating lake, and the reception spread out under a blanket of stars. It's going to be perfect.

My stiff muscles ache from sitting still for so long. I flex my feet, and Nicholas skims his hand over the fabric of my leggings. "How's your book?"

I raise my eyes from the page to look at him and tilt my head. "It's good. It's...sad. Right now, I'm at a sad part."

He twists off the cap of his Diet Coke bottle and swigs before offering it to me. The cold burn of the drink travels down my throat to my stomach.

I'm starving. And anxious. I can't wait to get to the hotel, unpack, and get ready for the rehearsal dinner. The blinker clicks as Nick flips it to make a left turn, traffic zooming past on the busy road. "What's happening? Why's it sad?"

I stuff the bottle into one of the cupholders, then lower the volume slightly from the music playing on his phone. "This character's husband was murdered, and she's trying to make sense of what happened, and she's finding out all about his secrets. Oh, and the first responder who relayed the news to her was her childhood sweetheart, and she's fighting all these, you know, feelings about that, too."

"Aw, that would be weird."

"But there's a cute dog."

"Obviously."

"Snuggles."

"Sure, come here."

He pulls the vehicle into the back of the queue of cars lining up at the front of the hotel for the valet. I lean closer and play with his hair, enjoying his adoring smile. "No, that's the dog's name."

He throws me a side glance and intertwines his fingers through mine. I can't remember ever sitting beside him in the car where he hasn't done that. "That's freaking adorable."