Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Laundry became more work now that Mr. Matthews started living with us. I was sorting through the freshly cleaned pile of clothes, trying to determine which belonged to who until I heard a small knock at my door.

"Is everything alright, Dad?" Kyle peeked into my room with a foot rubbing the back of his leg. Looked like it was a new habit he picked up since his clothes are quickly becoming smaller.

"Yeah, grandpa is just... really stubborn sometimes." I struggled to find words to say for a moment. I guess it was difficult to think of positive things to say about Mr. Matthews. "Trying to finish the laundry to get my mind off things. Don't worry about it, I'm sure we'll resolve things... eventually."

"Ah... okay." He said the words so quietly that it was almost a whisper. I turned my head towards him, hoping he would repeat himself but he kept quiet.

"Is there something up?"

"He really doesn't like me doing things sometimes..." I noticed he had his hands made into fists to hide his nails. He likes painting them from time to time but Mr. Matthews always made a small fuss about it.

"Do you dislike Grandpa?" My eyes were still on his hands. I wonder if Mr. Matthews was telling Kyle anything behind my back.

"No... I like him." Kyle said this as he refused to look at me. He seemed to find the décor in my room more interesting even though it only consisted of a nightstand, a wardrobe, and a bed.

"Okay, that's good." I sighed, thinking about my many past interactions with Mr. Matthews. "Do you want to help me fold the laundry? I still have a lot to go through."

He sat down beside me to join the task reluctantly. I folded clothing for a few minutes in silence while he sat there half-heartedly folding the shirts. The calming scent of the laundry detergent wasn't enough to ease my worries.

"Hey... is Grandpa bothering you about anything?" I took a glance at his hands again. "Just let me know if he is."

"He isn't... just... said my nails were too girly." His hands curled into fists again.

"What's wrong with being girly?" I asked with a raised eyebrow, not really expecting him to answer.

"Mm," He thought about it for a second. "I don't know."

"Well, if you ask me, being girly is fun sometimes. You used to even dress up in dresses for fun as a kid."

"Dad, please no." He squeaked as he looked away from me in embarrassment.

"Why? You were so cute," I teased. "You had a lot of confidence as well."

"Daaaaaaaaad." His voice became exasperated and couldn't help but smile as I held back my laughter.

"Okay, I'm just saying." My hands continued to fold the clothing into a neat pile, stopping every once in a while, to fix Kyle's messy folds.

Eventually he sighed and stood up to walk towards the door but stopped. I could feel him hovering over me for a few moments in hesitation. His movements seemed unsure as I heard him shift his weight from one foot to the other.

"Dad?" His tone was more serious this time, causing me to look towards him and pause my folding.

"Yeah?"

"Does Grandpa hate Pa?" The question drops on

"What makes you think that?"

I looked down at Kyle and I felt a wave of guilt hit me as I remembered the eyes that were looking up at me used to be Caleb's.

It reminded me of the first time Caleb stayed at my house. Lost, confused, and wanting any sort of reassurance. It was so long ago but it makes me wonder if Kyle knows anything about Caleb.

It has been so long since I let myself remember how I became Kyle's dad.

"He... doesn't want to talk whenever I ask about Pa." His voice wavered slightly and I could feel something in my chest slowly sink downwards.

My breath became shallow and I straightened my back, forgetting about the laundry. "Your grandpa... never really approved of Pa and I being together."

"Why not?" He asked with concern showing on his face.

I exhaled nervously. "Grandpa grew up in a time where... only men and women start a family. He's still getting used to it."

"Ah... okay." He nodded absentmindedly and was looking towards the door. I followed haze his gaze and then looked backed to him. He was still standing near me.

"Is there anything else you need?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No..."

"Are you sure?" I gave him a smug smile and he shook his head again.

"Alright, let me know if you need anything." I went back to work on the laundry and I could hear him make his way towards the door again before he paused.

"Thanks Dad."

"It's no problem."