Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The world seemed to be crying that day as the rain seeped through the cracks of my window frame. It didn't particularly bother me but I didn't want mold growing during my stay in the dorms. There was chatter in the hallways and some drunken laughs but after a few months of university life, it didn't really bother me.

I sat at my desk, with my legs squished underneath, trying to make the best out of the limited space I was given. The textbook was hefty and the passage I assigned was long. The words rang hollow through my head as I tried to understand the complicated jargon. I ended up giving an exasperated sigh before closing my eyes to rest for a few moments. I became more aware of the sounds surrounding me, deepening my frustration with university.

Suddenly, there was a knock on my door.

I gingerly opened my door, only allowing a crack, and I peered outside to see who it was.

That was when I saw him.

He was soaking wet head to toe from the rain and I could tell he was miserable by his facial expression. Even his face was wet but I couldn't tell if it was from the rain or if it was because he was crying.

"Can I help you?"

"Yeah, I had a tutoring session with you. I'm sorry I couldn't call. I was caught up in something." I just barely noticed the backpack that was slung over his shoulder and I suddenly remember the session I had set up.

"Ah, right. I nearly forgot. Caleb, right?" I opened the door for him but held out a hand to stop him the moment he attempted to walk in. "Hold on a moment, I'll get you a towel and some clothes. You can change in the dorm bathroom."

"Ah, alright. Thanks man."

I sifted through my closet for clothing before putting them into a plastic bag from a drawer and handing them to him. "When you're done changing, we can go to the lounge area to study."

"Sounds good." He left with the clothes and I was left to myself for a few moments.

What subject was I tutoring him again? Introduction to Business? The math one? I'll have to ask him what areas he's struggling in most.

Before I could gather all my things, he came back with his wet clothing in the plastic bag I had given him and changed into the sweats.

"Thanks man, I owe you."

"Just study well and then pay me after and we'll be good." I joked. He gave me a half smile in return and we settled back into a silence.

I walked towards my desk, making sure to grab my bag and own supplies, making sure that I had everything we needed to study. There was only one more thing I could pack but I wasn't sure which textbook I had to take. I cleared my throat. "Which class are we reviewing today?"

"History of Astronomy," he quietly said. He stood outside the room but I was able to catch what he said.

"Ah, right." I quickly stuffed the textbook into my bag before exiting out my room.

I made sure to lock the door behind me before we left.

"So..." My voice trailed off slightly and Caleb looked towards me with expectancy. "Were you standing in the rain for very long? It seemed you were soaking wet."

"Not really standing, but yeah." He shrugged his shoulders, trying to brush it off.

"What do you mean?"

"It was more like laying down."

"Why would you lay down outside?"

He became quiet for a moment and I leaned in towards him to make sure I didn't miss what he was going to say.

He took a shaky breath. "I've been homeless for some time."

I was taken slightly aback. "How come?"

"I ran away." He avoided looking towards me either due to shame or embarrassment.

"Why did you run away?" I pressed for more information. I could tell he was beating around the bush.

That was when he finally spat out the truth.

"My dad wasn't happy with me being gay."

This was the start of everything. How Caleb and I became roommates and eventually partners.

But this wasn't the time for reminiscing.

I carefully put away my old photo album and started to prepare for Kyle's birthday breakfast.

Time really has flown by.