Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I really should encourage Kyle to cook more often. He was old enough to be more independent but I was stuck in the kitchen cooking dinner as usual. It wasn't that I minded cooking for him, it would just be nice to have a break every once in a while.

"I'm going out!"

Kyle rushed out of his room and went for the door. It was only five in the afternoon. I didn't know what the rush was for.

"Woah, hold it there," I called out to him. He stopped at the sound of my voice and he sighed in annoyance before looking at me. He swayed on his feet looking ready to bolt at any second.

"Dinner is almost ready, are you not going to join your grandpa and me?" I turned off the stove and put my pan off to the side to avoid it burning.

"I'm going out."

"Going out where?" The overuse of cologne could've reached me if I was on the other side of the apartment. I took notice that his clothes were done more nicely than what he usually wore. Even his hair was styled to be neater.

"Just a place."

"And who will be at this place?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Just a friend." He avoided my gaze. There was always something up with this kid.

"And who is this friend?" I strained the word friend, knowing he wouldn't dress up like that for just anyone.

"She's just someone from school. Can I go now? I said I would meet her soon."

She?

Before I could ask anymore questions, he left through the door, leaving me alone with my cooking. Why did he even ask me if he could go when I didn't even answer?

I sighed and looked at the food I had just made. I clearly couldn't finish this tonight. I grabbed a container and began to pour the food from the pan into it.

He was dating a girl? Is he trying to hide being gay from me? Or maybe he's hiding from Mr. Matthews. I should try and have a talk with him again. I didn't want him to feel like he had to hide from me about being gay.

But... what if he wasn't gay and was straight instead?

The thought started to make me question what I had with Caleb. What if he was actually straight the whole time and really wasn't gay?

No... no. That wasn't possible.

Caleb never mentioned anything about actually liking a girl before. Maybe he hid it from me?

Was this a result of the nature versus nurture situation? But... even if it was, it didn't completely explain everything. He definitely was gay when he was with me. He ran away from home for god's sake. No sane human would want to subject themselves to being homeless. No straight guy would ever...

I took a deep breath to calm myself. I grabbed a nearby cup and turned on the tap, letting the water fill it. I quickly downed it before filling it again.

Maybe I was overthinking this. Kyle has to figures on his own. I don't have a say on what he should or shouldn't do if it doesn't harm anyone.

I couldn't help but feel shaken by the situation though.

I definitely know Caleb won't be coming back now. I guess there was a small part in me that hoped he would. Even if he did, he wouldn't stay with me.

I cleaned my cup and was about to put it on the drying rack until I saw a puzzle piece sitting there. These darn things just appear wherever they feel like. I would've been spooked a long time ago but it was so random that I never really bothered to think much further into it anymore.

At least, I was one piece closer to a complete puzzle.