Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"Hand me my medicine, would you boy?"

I stood in the kitchen washing the dishes as Mr. Matthews sat nearby, reading a newspaper. I dried my hands before opening the cabinet to retrieve the medicine.

"Will do, sir."

Ever since we grieved that day, Mr. Matthews started talking to me more often. I wonder if he was tired of the quiet and the loneliness or if that day just brought us closer together.

I handed him the bottle and he gave me a nod. I went to grab him a glass to pour water in.

"Did you know that Kyle is top student in his class? The teachers told me that he's a very bright young man with a very promising future," I said. Mr. Matthews rolled up his newspaper and tucked it underneath his arm.

"Hm, he seems just like Caleb. Doesn't he?" He opened the bottle before carefully shaking out the pills into the palm of his hand. He quickly closed the bottle and gave it back to me to exchange for the glass of water.

"Yeah."

He leaned his head back as he took a pill then quickly gulped down the water. I went to put back the pill bottle into the cabinet, satisfied that Mr. Mathews took his medicine.

"He even has the same scar." He remarked and I froze for a second before going back to do the dishes.

Just had to rinse then put on the drying rack.

"It's odd isn't it?" I said in a slightly shaky playful tone.

"Probably just bad luck." He chuckled. "When's the little sucker coming back home, anyways?"

I could hear him unrolling his newspaper. "School's over so he might be hanging out with some friends before heading back."

"Maybe we should do a family activity this weekend," Mr. Matthews remarked and my eyebrows raised in surprise. This was a first. "Maybe go to the movies."

"I don't think I have the time to go out. Plus, you're in no condition to walk so far." I glanced at his cane before turning my attention back to my task.

"Fine, how about... family movie night at home? What was that movie that the kid liked again? The one with the human robots?" Mr. Matthews seemed really persistent on this. Usually, he would just want to watch television or just nap. Maybe he's starting to feel better.

"Ah, I think I remember that." I turned off the tap. "We'll see how Kyle feels about it."

The door opened suddenly and footsteps echoed through the home. I could hear the shuffling of the teenager as he closed the door and locked it.

"Hey, kiddo. How was school?" I called out to him. I had taken the nearby dishtowel and took it between my hands to dry.

"It was alright." He called at and I heard the footsteps traveling through the hallway. He was heading to his room.

"Do you want anything to eat? A snack maybe?"

"No! I'm fine."

The door slammed shut and I looked at the door in slight shock while Mr. Matthews shook his head.

"Teenagers." He remarked in tone of slight amusement.

"You'd think after so many years of raising him, he would at least stop for a conversation." I muttered under my breath and Mr. Matthews snickered.

"That's just how youngsters are." Mr. Matthews paused. "At least... that's how Caleb was."

"He's just so distant already. I just wonder if he's alright."

"My mistake was not giving Caleb enough space. Take it from me." Mr. Matthews waved a shaky finger at himself. "If he needs you, he'll come to you."

"Hm, alright."

Silence fell upon us for a few moments. I become lost in thought and before I knew it, words slipped out of my mouth.

"Wonder if... he found anyone yet." I didn't let myself say anything about sexuality. There's still a chance Mr. Matthews isn't okay with me bringing it up.

"Who knows." That was all he said and I left it at that. I don't want to bring it up in case he gets all up in arms about men acting like women again.

I was about to put the dish towel back on the counter before I noticed five puzzle pieces laying there. At this point it was a common occurrence and I quietly pocketed them, still thinking about what I had just said.

I'm not even sure if I'm even ready for that stage of Kyle's life yet.