Chapter 5: Tails' Input

1671 words, 7 minutes

The next sorrowful day (in Amy's opinion), after Knuckles explained to Amy that Sonic missed her, she felt like she was forcefully thrusted out of her cozy little home on her way to Tails' workshop. She had absolutely no intentions of confronting Sonic just yet.

Maybe Tails can give me some more information before I go talk to Sonic, thought Amy.

She was simply outside because she wanted to gather conclusive information about Sonic missing her, and also because she hasn't been outside in fresh air for a while.

Her walk was evenly paced. She swung her arms lightly and confidently on her way to Tails' place while looking at her surroundings.

Man, it feels good to be outside again.

Once she arrived at Tails' place, however, she held her hands behind her back for a few moments, feeling a cage of nervousness being unlocked in her chest.

How do I start— Before she even processed where her hand was going, she only stared at it as it curled into a fist and knocked on the door 3 times.

In turn, she was greeted by her yellow fox friend with two tails that always assisted him when he wanted to fly. Tails' blue eyes appeared to contain some disbelief as he couldn't believe who was in front of him.

"Amy?" he asked, holding onto the brass doorknob loosely. "What are you doing here? It's been such a long time since we all last saw you! Is everything OK?" Amy's heart melted. For an 8-year-old genius, his cuteness tended to have that sort of effect.

Especially when he said something sweet.

"Everything's fine, Tails," she answered, running her hand gently behind her quills. But no, she thought. Immediately, she was compelled to say more than "everything's fine".

So she tried to.

"I'm really sorry for not coming with you guys, Tails, I really am! It's just that I really needed to have some space and I wasn't sure if it was a good idea for me to go because of my arm and I wasn't sure what Eggman would do if I reappeared and I—"

"Woah, woah, calm down, Amy!" Tails frantically waved his hands up and down to get Amy to be quiet. He took in her exasperated state quite fast, with her torso bent slightly towards him and her intertwining hands that spelled "pleading".

He held out his hand. "Come in! Let's talk for a bit."

Amy shyly stepped inside as if she were entering a stranger's house. She didn't want to mess up a single floorboard for the sake of showing off a lady-like first impression. She looked up and around, and Tails strode over to his wooden worktable to continue on a rather minor project. He appeared to be making... a notebook?

A large hole-puncher, piles of lined paper, a ruler, a pencil and pen, a glittery pink-blue ombré cover and a stamp were sprawled on his work space. He had a clipboard with paper showing 2 graphs with data that Amy didn't even care to look at at the moment. What surprised her was the fact that Tails wasn't making machines like he normally would do.