CHAPTER 4

The sky is fading into the evening when Blake and I exit the theatre. It's starting to rain so we pull our hoods up and try to flag down a taxi. I stare at the grey sky as Blake holds the door open for me. We huddle in the back as the cab drives down the slick road. I stare out the window and watch the reflections of the city lights in the puddles. I tap my foot in aggravation, as I wait for the car to pull up in front of the house. I pay the driver and we rush for the house in the pouring rain. Once under the porch, I pull Blake into a kiss.

"What was that for?" he asked once I let go.

"I owe you a kiss" I smile and open the door.

We ditch our wet coats and stuff and I build up a fire while Blake gets us something to drink. I throw a couple of logs in the fireplace and strike a match. The fireplace blazes to life with light and warmth. I grab a blanket from the couch and wrap myself up in it. I begin to pull my hair out and brush through all the knots with my fingers.

"I have a serious urge to roast marshmallows right now," I say, dusting the ash from my jeans.

"I'll put that on the shopping list" Blake smiles handing me some Coke. He joins me under the blanket and we sit quietly for a while. I lay my head on his shoulder and take a deep breath.

"What?" Blake asks softly.

"I don't want this moment to end," I say.

"What are  you thinking about though?"

"To be honest...I'm thinking about our next move. The Garde is on the move again but with the leader out there, the stakes have gone up to like a billion."

"And this is the leader that shows you, like me dying and stuff?"

"Yeah, he's been invading my dreams for a while now and he enjoys watching me scream and using you to make me give up our fight so that he will spare your life."

"But you won't"

"I love you and I'll never let anything happen to you but I've learned my lesson about trying to forget or trying to live normally. It just won't happen like that. Besides, the Garde are the only family and the connection I have left to our planet. That and my chest."

"Besides, you and I will train so I won't be... a liability" he shrugs

"Yes!! Of course!" I pull him close and kiss him with a passion.

When we pull apart, I smile at him and pull him into a hug. I don't know how many more quiet and romantic nights we'll get like this. Such is the life of a powerful alien and her human boyfriend on the run from a hostile alien race determined to wipe out both their people.

Blake insists we enjoy the moment and I have no problem with that. We continue to kiss for as long as the evening lasts. But something is still in the back of my mind. My inheritance. The things I am to receive from my elder. Some...things that will help me to defeat my enemies and keep Lorien alive. Somehow...I know this. I try to recall Annie's long lectures about the chest but little comes back to me. We never really dove into my inheritance much and I know who's fault is that. We never really touched it except for the crystal that spreads my Externa. 

I suddenly become anxious and excited. I have a huge amount of inheritance to dig into and little time to do so.

"What?" Blake asks me when I pull away.

"I think...I think we need to put this on hold."

"Was it because of the kissing or was it because I spilled Coke on the carpet and your pants."

I look down and laugh. I was so in the moment that I hadn't noticed that my jeans were soaked with pop and was now becoming sticky.

"I'll change and you clean up the drink. I need to get something anyway."

I walk up the stairs and open the dresser drawer. I pull out a pair of sweats and ditch the jeans in the laundry. I pause for a moment and stare at the closet door in the room. My fists clench and unclench for a moment as I contemplate what I plan to do.

You haven't even touched it since Annie died. The time is now.

I pull my hair up into a ponytail. I still have this unrequited grief towards this thing. Probably because it reminds me of what I almost gave up when I wanted to be normal and the consequences of that.

It's important to know where you came from...

I sigh and take slow steps towards the door. I pause at the handle...

Here goes nothing... as if I'm about to dive off a cliff into the sea.

I twist the knob and go in. I dig underneath the piles of laundry to retrieve what I've hidden. I finally reach the hard wooden surface. I rub my hands on it as if I'm trying to memorize its dimensions. I hold back the tears and slowly bring my treasures downstairs.

I am Number Tenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें