CHAPTER 8

I'm flying. The air is crisp and refreshing, even though my skin is steel. I can hear my body hissing against the cool air, I cut it really close with escaping. I plummet downwards towards the open field. I prepare to land. I tuck and roll through the snow and the hissing gets louder. I guess the Externa reacts naturally like my skin would to certain situations. I don't stop, I keep going, I'll be safe when I reach the trees.  I come to a screeching halt when I see shadows. I release the steel ball and I examine myself. My skin is slightly pink from the heat, but nothing that needs concern. I start to develop goosebumps as my skin meets the cool March air. I need to decide what  I'll change into to keep the body heat in. I grab the bark of a nearby tree and my skin becomes brown and rough. It isn't much but it'll be good camouflage. I grab my chest and start running through the trees.

My priority is to get to Blake before the Feds do. Hopefully, the fire has created enough chaos for them to forget about the two of us and give us a chance to escape. I try to find Blake's thoughts but they're overwhelmed by the number of Feds who are panicking over what kind of attention this will bring or trying to search for us. I pick up the pace, if Blake made it to the trees with Agent Noto, we might be able to get some info out of him. 

I finally make it to the back area near the house and I begin my search. All I can see are trees and snow.

"Blake?" I say softly. No response. I can hear his thoughts, nor can I see his energy. I hadn't realized that I had been wearing my crown the whole time. For a while, I had my sight back and everything looked normal but now it's back. I guess it can be turned on and off when I need it to.

"Blake..." I say a little louder. No response.

Then I notice something. The soldiers are advancing towards the forest. They know where I am! I focus in on one solider's mind.

I've been informed that Agent Noto has one in custody, we need to find the other. They say to search the forest.

My heart stops. Blake is in the custody of the FBI! I can feel burning in the pit of my stomach and I take a step towards them. I will fight the entire army if I have to, they will NOT take him from me.

I take another step and I freeze. There's a voice in my head saying to run.

Run!! RUN!! it screams. You can save Blake but now you need to run. The tears are coming now and my stomach burns with anger and guilt. I take the third step, the soldiers are nearly at the woods. I'm sweating and crying so badly that I'm shaking. I'm crushing the chunk of bark in my hand and my chest rattles

I suddenly see Annie standing in front of me. Now I know I'm hallucinating.

Run!! Annie says. Run and hide until you have a plan. There are a time and place to attack which is not now... he will be safe, he's not with the Mogs. Run! Save yourself first and then go find him. It will not help either one of you if you are also captured. Run my child...Run...

No!!  I scream back at Annie. I love Blake and I will not let anything happen to him. You wouldn't understand!! You never... and I realize what I was about to say. Annie is not my enemy, she's only trying to protect me but now I need to protect Blake...or myself

The Annie figure vanishes and I see a solider almost upon me. I fight the tears so hard that my eyes burn. I can barely breathe I'm so angry. I see Annie's face again and now I see Blake's. He will be...

I force myself to turn around and run. My feet are like concrete. My gut keeps telling me to go back for Blake but I keep going.  I go around trees and jump over roots, whacking myself a few times on purpose for my decision but I still don't turn back. I run so fast that it's hard for me to focus on anything. All I hear is the wind and my own breathing.