Chapter FOUR

Mark’s POV

It’s another Monday morning and my brother had been knocking on my door telling me to move faster. I was just done changing clothes and now putting my contact lens to my eyes. It has been more than a week since I lost my eyeglasses which forced me to use contact lenses instead. I still have trouble putting it on. The eyeglasses was my last gift from my father and I should’ve taken good care of it.

I didn’t bought new pair of eyeglass during the weekend since I feel terrible buying a new one, easily replacing my father’s gift. I still believe I could find it somehow.

I went outside right after I was done putting my contact lens and welcomed with an annoyed younger brother.

“Kuya, you should move faster or wake up a little earlier so that we won’t be late.” He said, handing me a sandwich. It has also been a week since he would wait in front of my door, always bringing a sandwich for me so I don’t have to stop by to the kitchen.
We soon made our way outside, me walking around the car and riding at the passenger seat as he started the car and made our way to the school.

***

I just sat down at my seat when the teacher came. This is becoming a habit. I glanced towards Andrei to look if his hands were better. There was no bandages or whatsoever and it seemed better. I looked away when I saw him about to look at me. I listened to the teacher as she started to discuss our lessons.

An hour passed, I saw Andrei in my peripheral view got busy, getting something from his bag. A few moments later, he put something on my table quickly. It was a cylindrical pouch with a note on top saying ‘I got it fixed’ with a smiling emoji.

I looked at him but he’s looking at the front. I opened the pouch and I couldn’t stop myself from smiling brightly when I saw my eyeglasses. I could tell that it was my father’s. The glass was really fixed. I looked at him again and I swear I saw him smiling too.
Not wanting to create noise, I picked my pen out and wrote something.

‘Thank you, this really mean much. It was my last gift from my father.’ Also with a smile emoji and put it at his table.
I waited for him to read my note. He briefly smiled but then I saw his smile faded right away.

I found myself handing out another note. ‘What’s wrong?’

He then looked at me mouthing the word ‘nothing’ and tried to smile sincerely. Tried.
I could sense that something was wrong. Was it because of me?

The morning class ended and I could still see that Andrei was out of focus. I watched him went out of the room. I can’t just ask him what’s really going on. It seemed personal and we’re not even friends for me to pry on his life.

Before I could went outside, the two girls from last Friday blocked my way.

*slaps*

“That’s for hurting Andrei.” One of the girls slapped me in my right side of my face. When she moved away…

*slaps*

“That is also because you hurt Andrei.” The other girl after slapping my left side of my face. “Now it’s even.” They just walked out and still, I couldn’t do anything.

***

I just got out of the school after the last afternoon class. I was walking towards the parking lot glancing, trying to look for our car. I couldn’t find it. I took my phone out and called Justin. It rang a few times before he finally answered.

“Hello?” I said, not being sure if I was heard on the other side since Justin seems to have company as I heard low voices conversing.

“Yes? Oh shit. I’m sorry, kuya. I forgot to tell you that I have to go to my classmate’s house to do a group project.” He said. I could sense that he’s panicking a little. “Wait for a few minutes, I’ll excuse myself here and get you home.” He continued.

Before I could say anything, one of the voices called out Justin’s name and they sounded like they were really busy.

“Forget it. You don’t have to. I’ll take the bus.” I said as I ended the call. I was not upset, maybe a little when he didn’t tell me in advance.

I put my phone back to my pocket and as I was getting away from the parking lot, a voice shouted my name.

“Mark!” I looked back and saw Clay waving his hand at me as he walked towards me.

"Where’s your ride?” He asked me as he took his key out from his pocket.

“I’m taking the bus home today. Justin have to be somewhere.” I told him.

“I can give you a ride if you want to?” He offered and waited for me to answer.

“You would? You seem to be always here when I need help.” I smiled as he went inside his car-which was right in front of us- and I sat at the passenger seat.

The ride to home was almost silent. I only talked when I need to give out directions. Sooner, we were already in front of my house.

“Thank you.” I smiled at him as I was about to remove my seatbelt.

He looked at me seriously. His expression a little different from what I have seen from him so far. His face started to get close to mine. I froze. He closed his eyes and kissed me. It took me some time to back away.

“What are you doing?” I asked him.

“Isn’t it obvious? I like you.” I was frozen again by the sudden confession. He once again leaned his face and kissed me. I moved my head away from him but then he started kissing my neck and touched my ‘man-part’. I struggled to move but finally able to push him away.

“What’s wrong?” He asked impatiently and tried to get back kissing me. I pushed him again.

“I’m sorry.” I said and unlocked the car door and went outside. I stopped walking when he said something.

“I thought you like me too..” I sensed some disappointment in his voice.

I continued walking, open the door, and went straight to my room digging my head to the pillow.

It has only been a few weeks since I moved here but it already felt like hell.

Trusting people was never an easy thing to me. I only had few people I could say that I really trust. I didn’t like what Clay did to me. I was already questioning my sexual identity before. And now was the time I was most unsure of.

Suddenly, I missed the only person who knew everything about me. The person I never hesitated to open up. The person I was very attached too.

“This life sucks without you, Dad.” I whispered to myself, looking at the stars in the window, wishing my dad was still here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
AN: The word “Kuya” means ‘older brother’ in English.

Vote and Comment! 🙏😅😘