Chapter FIVE

Andrei’s POV

I went early to school today. My Dad was home and I didn’t want to spend some awkward moments with him. After what I witnessed, I started to avoid him. I couldn’t tell Mom. Whenever we were together which only happened almost once a week, she seemed happy. Every time the mass ended during Sunday, she would talk to her friends about us. How ‘great’ of me as a son and how ‘loyal and caring’ my Dad was. Which both seemed to me as a lie.

I just got at the parking lot. I stepped out of my car. I couldn’t help but notice that everyone was so focused looking at their phone, laughing to what they are watching. I wondered what it was but continued to walk to my locker. I saw Tristan and Bryan, waiting.

“Bro, check this out.” Bryan gesturing his phone to him.

It was a video of Mark. He was blocked by two girls who I quickly recognized.
‘That’s for hurting Andrei.’ One of the girls slapped him.

*slaps*

‘That is also because you hurt Andrei.’ Said the other girl, slapping the other side of his face.

I moved away Bryan’s phone. I took out my books and then closed my locker. I walked away from them. Tristan called me out but I ignored them.

I went to class and noticed that Mark was not present. It must have hit hard on him. I keep on looking at the door hoping someone would open the door loudly just like every time he’s late.

I don’t know it this was my conscience kicking in but I felt really bad. What happened to my hand wasn’t really a big deal. It didn’t even happened because of him. He wouldn’t have to pick up the things I dropped if I didn’t drop it in the first place. I was pulled out of my thoughts when the bell rang.

The lunch break just finished. Mark, was also not in the cafeteria. Not that I was looking for him. He would usually sit with his brother and his brother’s friends. They were there but Mark wasn’t.

The class started and it went by slowly and it made me thought of the situation regarding Dad. He didn’t know that I knew. It felt like I was the one on the wrong side. Honestly, I didn’t know what to do. Staying in the class room without listening is a waste of time and it was me who keeps telling my friends to pay attention in class but I couldn’t even do it now.

The teacher started writing something on the board. I stood up quietly and started to walk to the door. The students near me noticed me standing but didn’t say a word. I successfully went outside. I went to the Library. Except from the court and my safespace, that is usually where I go when I’m bothered by something. I can’t go to the court now since its class hours. At least at the Library, I could pretend that it’s my vacant and is here to study quietly.

The library was quiet as always. I loved the silence and the sound of the book pages flipping. I would usually just sit to kill time and choose seat in the corner to avoid the eyes of other students. I saw someone with lots of books in front of him. He was sitting on my spot. It was Mark. I sat beside him and waited for him to glance at me. He didn’t.
“Uh-uhm, hi.” I said nervously while looking at him. He didn’t budge so I greeted again. Louder.

“Hi.” The students looked at us. I quickly covered my face. I spoke louder than I intended to be but at least I caught his attention and finally looked at me.
“Mark right? We’re classmates but I never really introduced myself. I’m Andrei. Nice meeting you.” I gestured my hand to him. It took him a while before he reached out his hand too.

“You, too.” He replied shortly. He went back reading his book. It was a while before I thought of something to say.

“I’m sorry about last Friday, I know it was my fault and you’ve been blamed for it. I was careless enough to drop those things” I said sincerely as I looked at him, leaning my head at the table, looking at his face.

“I’m sorry too. I was careless as well and I was the reason the chemical dropped. It was ultimately my fault that you’re hurt.” He said, taking his eyes away from his book as he looked at me.

He was back to wearing his eyeglasses. He looked good with the contact lens but I preferred him using the eyeglasses, partly because I was the one who got it fixed and I want him to wear it. Besides, it felt special for him.

“Why are you not on class?” I asked him.

“I could ask you the same thing.” Yeah, he’s right. I saw him chuckled lightly after seeing me a little embarrassed.

“I don’t know… I was bothered by something earlier that’s why I went outside. You?” I told him honestly. I wasn’t expecting him to say anything but he did.

“I wanted to escape the eyes of people making fun of me. I just started in this school and it’s already a mess. I just wanted a simple school life.” He told me as he read again the book he was holding.

I was not doing anything and it felt weird to just stare at him. I stood up and took a couple of books that picked my interest and brought it to where Mark was and sat beside him, again.

I could only read a couple pages because I kept on looking at him as he yawn and slapping himself to fight his dizziness.

“Why do you keep on slapping yourself?” I asked even though I knew the answer.

“I’m sleepy.” He said as he yawn again.
“Why don’t you just take a nap here? No one would care. And we are in the corner.” I said. I would take a nap at the library once in a while and no one ever bothered me.

“It’s called ‘library’ for a reason. Not a sleeping room.” He said while doing the finger quote. I cringed and let out a small chuckle at his attempt to joke. He looked at me briefly and went back to reading.

I stopped talking and just read my book. I was in the middle of another chapter when my shoulder felt some added weight.
Mark’s head was now on my shoulder sounding asleep as he give out deep breaths. I put my book in a bookstand and put it on my right side to cover us from a few nerdy students reading books a few tables from us. Although I doubted they would even looked at anything else besides their book.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AN: Ayyiieeehhh!! Theyvre having a moment. 😊😊

Vote and Comment guys! 🙏😅😘