Chapter 3

I pleaded with mama not to have him over for dinner.

"Please mama don't invite him over just for this once." My voice filled with annoyance. 

The last time I seen him things didn't go too well. 

The thrill I felt when I slapped him immediately vanished once he and I locked eyes. Thankfully, he excused my behavior by letting me go, as I wished.

"Nadine, why are you being pitiful!  For all this man has done for our family. Go wash up before he comes." My mom said putting an end to the conversation.  

I did as told. And within the time I managed to finish up I sat side by side next to Rosario. My mind was elsewhere as the adults talked about the casual events. I figured tonight I'd say as little as possible, I'd make myself invisible.

Tonight I had no will power to challenge him. 

But of course he'd reel me back into reality, "Are you not happy to see me Nadi?"I looked at him rolling my eyes carelessly but out of sight. To say the least I was intoxicated with how much control he had over me. His hand hovered on the back of my chair, making us much closer than before. 

 By then everyone was busy gossiping, out of their chairs and about roaming the kitchen and dining. Of course with the high amount of status Rosario carried everyone knew not to butt into our conversations unless it was mama. 

"Yes. I'm happy to see you." I said in obedience with a hush voice clamping my hands together. I felt my inside warm up.

"Why, you aren't displaying that attitude at all, bebita." He was know much closer, rubbing his rough hands on my exposed upper back. The gesture looked innocent, yet between Rosario and I this held a significant meaning.  

A slight gesture of my hand to your upper back suggest for you to train your eyes onto me immediately. Whether in public or not, each and everything I teach you today should be memorized..."

I looked at his face, it made me quiver sometimes when he'd want me to look him in the eyes . With the amount of authority he held over me, I felt subjected to be a low life before him. Much more of an inferior.

"I got the set of keys to the apartment." I said abruptly trying to avoid his hard gaze. I can tell that he held back the deep urge to spank me for not formally greeting him early. Tonight I broke so much of Rosario's rules. By bringing up the apartment I hope it would steer his mind away from my punishments. 

"Ah, yes. I was wondering what had you in deep thought. Are you packing to move in next week?" He asked taking a sip from his vase. 

"Yes, I was wondering if I can invite a mutual of mine to stay with me. She offered to split half the rent."

"No-no friends, Nadine. Especially if it's Annie." He said with a tight voice. Annie was a good mutual of mine although I didn't always hang out with her. When I did I always ended up in a bad crowd somewhere on campus in a party. Being around her just brought a different side of me which I liked.

"It could get lonely.." I pleaded. I deliberately reached out for his hand hoping to lower his temper. The apartment was more like a penthouse. Big enough for just one person since it had two beds and baths. I thought it was ridiculous at the amount efforts  Rosario went through to get me a place near campus that was very expensive in Richmond.

"Also she isn't looking to spend the night all the time-" 

"No is no, bebita!" Rosario barked lowly. I took the opportunity to pull away once my mom approached him. I was sick and tired of him isolating me to be put away just for himself. 

It has come to the point where I want to rebel. To go out of may way and do everything he is against. I highly prioritize schooling, which makes it difficult for to attend parties and events with students my age. I honestly could care less about them but maybe it was time for some fun. 

It's my time to bite back at Rosario, childish or not he wasn't my father to lay down the base rules for me.