Chapter 11

Giselle 

"I swear to you Ave, he's a tool, and I freaking want to gauge his eyes out with -- with a fork or something!"

Avery only chuckled at my sudden, violent outbreak, widening her eyes at me as if I just told her I could levitate. The look of incredulity and appal was knitted in her features as she gawked at me, and frankly, she isn't the only one. I was never this... explosive. I was known to keep my emotions in check with a safety belt, to always bite my tongue and refrain from speech. It was better for everyone else that I just remained in the shadows, overlooked and unspoken; and I've learned it the hard way.

"Wow. I mean, if he's getting you to sweat out of your hair like this, he must be doing a pretty darn good job." She chuckled, entertained by the thought of Sebastian riling me up. I only judged her through my eyes, shooting daggers at her as she only found further amusement at the hands of my own troubles. The audacity of this girl. She should be thankful that she's my best friend, or else.

"Alright fine, we'll not talk about your boss and how much he infuriates you. So, let's talk about you and Mr Popular."

I delivered a coy smile as I side-eyed Avery, playful and suggestive. "We're doing fine, in all seriousness. I mean yes, we did have our... difficulties along the way, but it's not that bad, you know? We always make up in the end, yeah."

She sang out a thoughtful hum, like she wasn't entirely convinced by my words. We were just engulfed within our own world, completely ignorant about the daily buzz of the school environment. Although, after being in the same place for five years and constantly having to face the seemingly mundane yet interesting events of middle school and high school, it just becomes overused and predictable. We just learn to tune it out when necessary.

We paced along the halls, walking mindlessly as we let our feet steer the mass. A silence draped over us as we remained side by side, feeding into the voices in our heads; wondering, pondering, questioning. We were digesting the contents of the dish served by my own words, and I could only chew and gnaw on it as I tasted the remnants.

"Don't take this the wrong way, Giselle, but you sure I'm the one you're trying to convince?" Avery spoke in a way that only vibrated tenderness and care. I blasely and skillfully directed my gaze away from her, soughting out mild interest and reflection as I wore a mask of my hidden insecurities.

Because no matter how much I deny it, how many times I tell Avery, or anyone, how everything was smooth sailing, they were only a bunch of overused excuses that I just kept pulling out of my hat. Excuses I made to nurture a withering flame. At least, that's what it's come to.

Brandon and I have reached a fork in the road where we had no sense of direction left. I couldn't help but think that we've reached such a pivotal point and it was all my fault. It may sound foolish, and probably ridiculous, but I couldn't even tell how our roots were wilting. We were happy and in bliss, and one day, in the span of a single snap, everything began to deteriorate.

He would get more annoyed with me, he looked lost, askewed, uneasy, bored, tired. Maybe even miserable. And that thought hit me like a gong smashed against my head, reverberating the whispers of my errors to me. I always ruin everything. Where have we gone wrong? Where did I go wrong? I'd do anything to fix this, to fix us. I just want him back. I want us to be happy with each other again.

But how do I do that when I don't know how we've gotten here in the first place? Maybe Avery would know what to do if I just told her...

We were just about to turn down the corridor to the cafeteria when a sudden ringing was thrown into the cycle of polluted noise. Instantaneously, my hands fell into the compartment pocket of my backpack to retrieve my ringing phone. I glanced down at the mobile device only to be responded with an unsettling name.