Chapter 7

Giselle 

'First rule: Leave no rope uncut. Always make sure you cut off any loose ends.'

Loralei's words (also known as the mystery woman from the cafe) echoed through my mind as I rang the doorbell of the ominous, elegant mansion before me. Loralei's favour was a rather, dubious one. Everything she promised in the cafe that day was granted, mine for the taking the moment I accepted her deal: to spy on the Van Hansens and dig up dirt on them.

I wasn't one for gossip or news, but I knew who they were thanks to Avery and her obsession with celebrities and notable public figures. From what she has told me, there are only currently two of them in England. Where the rest of the family are and what of their condition is entirely a mystery. And lo and behold, the remaining Van Hansens that are widely adored throughout England: Thaddeus and Sebastian Van Hansen.

According to Avery, Thaddeus is the head of the family. He was the oldest child and hence he took over the reins when his time came. Sebastian, his only son, is known to be quite the heartthrob; which is rather questionable considering there are no pictures of the Van Hansens in any publication or site. I guess they aren't a fan of having their pictures publicised and out in the open. And if anything, this just made my mission so much more sceptical and risky.

If they are on the down-low, trying to scavenge for anything would be like finding a needle in a haystack. It didn't help that Loralei provided me with no extra information that could be of use in my mission. I don't even know what they look like! It still eluded me as to why she chose me specifically to do this because quite frankly, her explanation didn't do justice and I was the last person to choose for such an important and risky task.

And the better question is, what could she possibly have against them?

Right before I could venture further down the rabbit hole of questions, the towering oak doors opened to reveal a lovely face peering right back at me. Judging from her black and white frilly uniform, it was safe to say that she was the maid of the manor. Her glistening black hair was gathered neatly in a low bun behind her neck with a few loose strands undone, and her small frame was decorated with dark inky eyes that radiated the same warmth and hospitality that took form in a smile on her full lips. Perhaps my time here wouldn't be too bad after all.

'Welcome. You must be the new urm, assistant. Come in.' The maid extended her arm to push aside the grand doors before stepping aside to permit me entrance. As I stepped foot into the spacious foyer, a tiny gasp flew past my lips and into the air as my eyes devoured every inch of the place. Did I step into a castle? The entire room reeked of extravagance and luxury, and this was only the foyer.

'Follow me. Urm...' The maid stopped halfway as she narrowed her eyes on me, the dark obs dancing across my face as an eyebrow was lifted in further pursuit. I shot her a small smile before proceeding to tell her my name. 'Giselle.'

'Nice to meet you, Giselle. I'm Sofia, the manor's housekeeper.' She began to walk down the hall and I trailed behind her like a baby duck, whilst I took my time in admiring the grand architecture and the immaculate designing of the house. I felt ashamed of not knowing who the Van Hansens were because clearly they were of importance and elite standing. I would have never thought that I would be asked to spy on someone of such social reputation ever.

Oh my god, what if I get caught? They're going to send me to prison, aren't they? I can't go to prison. I'm way too young and I barely started my life. Or worse, they decide to press charges. I shouldn't have taken this deal. This was a horrible idea. I-

'Please wait here. Mr Van Hansen will be with you shortly.' Crashing my train of thoughts, Sofia gestured me into what appeared to be a sitting room. Smiling sweetly, she left without another word, leaving me alone as I took the chance to scan over the elegant room. To say the room was beautiful would be an insult to the awestruck detailing and design the room had to provide.