Chapter 2

Giselle 

'Ugh, he's a freaking jerk! I can't believe the audacity he has-'

'It's James, Ave. Were you really expecting any different?' I looked at Avery -- my best friend (and only true friend) -- shooting her a quizzical expression as we walked side by side down the corridors of the school to make our way to the cafeteria.

In this nightmare of a place, I was more than fortunate to have Avery by my side. Sure, she got tangled up with James at one point before this, and he did break her heart right after giving her false hope, but we always stayed by each other regardless. Believe me, I wanted nothing more but to put James in his place. I was so not going to let him run over someone as sweet and loveable as Avery, but I knew deep down it would only made things worse if I confronted him.

I wasn't sure if this made me a horrible person, but a part of me was somewhat glad the whole ordeal occurred in the first place; because it only strengthened the friendship Avery and I had fostered. We only grew closer from the pain, and I was utterly grateful for her friendship and trust.

'Well, I guess you're right on that. James is a classified jerk.' Avery pouted just as we neared the cafeteria doors. I simply gave her a knowing look, suggesting my agreement. If only the rest of the student body could see that too. Unfortunately, James was at the top of the hierarchy, and I was in the deep end. Naturally, this meant that James had an even greater foothold in sinking his claws into me, to ruin me again.

And what was going to happen in the next 3 seconds was an example of it.

The moment I pushed through the rusted, metal doors, my vision was cut off as a sharp bang erupted, and the pressure of something heavy collided with the top of my head, icy liquid pouring down until it soaked me from head to toe. I gasped, feeling the shivering cut of the water against my skin, every part of me left undrench, as I realised that a metal bucket was over my head.

The daunting loop of laughter that erupted from the students reverberated in my ear, the metal bucket amplifying every minuscule detail of the experience as I peered down to my feet, unable to move or react accordingly. I could feel water droplets flowing down my cheeks, but whether they were the results of my own tears or the water that was already drenched upon me, I could not tell.

It was as if something came over me; I was unable to even lift a finger, letting the waves of mockery and amusement pull me under. I had just about gathered every single person's attention, I felt like a zoo animal being scrutinised and commented upon. I didn't even feel like a person anymore; I was a casualty, a performance, a nobody.

I couldn't stand idly by anymore; I had to will myself to get out of there as fast as possible before they see me break. Even in my darkest times, I wasn't going to give James or anyone else that satisfaction of triumph. In a matter of seconds, I threw the bucket down on the ground and ran out of the cafeteria with haste.

As I dash down the hallways, I could feel the gawks and gasps that bored into me as I rushed by students. Some were already whispering and gossiping away; the hint of their snickering only made me feel twice as embarrassed. I dropped my head down, slumped, gazing down and fixating on my feet as if they were the most fascinating thing ever. In this moment, I realised one very crucial factor: where was I even going?

In my frantic rush to get out of the cafeteria, I didn't even know where I was going. I definitely can't go back to class, as much as I didn't want to admit it. I couldn't possibly skip class, that was wrong. But I don't want to wait it out in the washroom either. The bleachers weren't an option either. In all honesty, all I wanted to do was to just leave this place and go somewhere quiet; I wanted to go to the only place that brought me content and peace of mind.