Chapter 3

Sebastian

I paused, taking a moment to exile the thoughts swarming my mind and will myself into a state of focus. With a deep breath, my fingers then took over my senses as they began to dance across the piano tiles, my entire body flowing to the euphonious symphony concocted from the organ. I immediately felt myself relaxing, sinking into the mesmerizing melody that has now enveloped the space around me.

I've always loved the piano; it is an instrument like no other. It may appear to be simple, merely just another flower amongst others in a garden; but to me, nothing could compare to the sophistication and grandeur of a piano. It was meant to stand out instead of being blended into the crowd. Was that how I viewed myself? Not exactly.

One thing you should know about me is that I only play the piano in the times when no one would be able to bear witness to my performances. It's certainly not because I'm shy, I can assure you that. If anything, I'm extremely confident in whatever it is I execute. I used to play like it was my lifeline, anywhere and anytime. It brought me immense joy to play for my family, friends, and loved ones.

However, that all changed many, many, years ago.

I'm merely not the same man I used to be anymore.

I peaked out the large floor-length window in front of me and noticed the sun rising. My eyes were fixated on the scenery laid beyond the glass as I soaked in the warm embrace of the morning, mixed with the hypnotising melody that seemed to lure me in with every note. There was nothing more intoxicating than a peaceful morning combined with the sweet sound of music.

Unknowingly, the dreaded feeling of nostalgia began to creep up my bones as I found myself reminiscing; my fingers still absentmindedly travelling across the tiles as I began to fall deeper down that cursed rabbit hole. My once-vacant mind was now flooded with a million memories and a thousand heartbreaks.

I began to remember happier times when I would smile and laugh like there was no tomorrow. And then, there were moments I'd rather not recall: the ones that destroyed my already broken soul until there was nothing left within me but a void, black hole of oblivion.

One might mistake me for being depressed or simply grief-stricken, but they're wrong: for you have to be human to feel. And I am barren of anything but life.

What I have within me is emptiness, coldness, darkness. And it was inserted there by the woman who betrayed my entire family.

I would never be able to know what it's like to feel again. What I'd give to feel joy and experience warmth.

To feel tears tainting my cheeks and taste the bitter feeling of guilt or shame.

To find love, have a family of my own, and live to see the day my children build their own little family.

To feel.

All that life had to offer was stripped away from me a long time ago, and knowing I would walk this earth for the next few aeons without living, leaves a burning scar on my already wounded heart.

Unexpectedly, the atmosphere in the air shifted and my senses heightened. My fingers came to an abrupt stop as I gathered my mind together and focused. There was a strong energy in the air, the feeling powerful and consuming.

Someone's here.

I was about to investigate when I felt a firm grip on my shoulder from behind. Instantly, a switch was flipped within me and my inner monster was unleashed. The familiar, burning feeling in my gums arising and my eyesight now growing red. I was just about to grab the attacker's hand and pry them off, but he gripped my wrist forcefully before I could even strike.