229

Defeating the Demon Queen
The damage during the retreat from the Imperial Capital was much less than expected.
The casualties were almost fully limited to soldiers.
Moreover, it was only some soldiers who served in the rearguard who were affected.
There was hardly any damage to the ordinary people, so considering the situation, we should be happy.

Still, the fact that there were lives lost was tremendously heavy.
Not only the citizens of the Naa Empire but of the surrounding countries too offered their condolences about the dead, especially Dorothea.
They not only protected the people of the Naa Empire, but they also protected humanity from the threat of the demon queen and demons.
Although I was strongly opposed to glorifying death in duty, I still didn’t hesitate to express my condolences for people who risked their lives for their duty.

“Now, let’s talk about the future.”

Saying that, Manaria-sama opened the meeting.

We were in the imperial city of Zurück, near the border with the Bauer Kingdom.
It had originally been a fortified city built by the empire with the expectation of war with Bauer, now it was the frontline of the war against the demons.
We borrowed a large conference room used by the city administration and gathered to discuss the plan forward.

Most of the attendees participated in the retreat.
Claire-sama and I were a given, but there were also Manaria-sama from Soussa, His Majesty William from Appalachia, Sein-sama, Dor-sama, and Rod-sama from Bauer, Philine and Hilda from Naa, Yuu-sama, Misha, and Lily-sama from the Spirit Church.
It was a bit of a spectacular sight to see so many important people from religious groups and major nations around Bauer.

“What’s happening with the demons?”
“Let me explain it.”

It was Hilda who responded to Manaria-sama’s question.

”According to reports from the scouts, the demons have stopped their forces after capturing the imperial capital.”
“What’s the damage to the imperial capital?”
“About that… Curiously, there seems to be little damage to the city’s buildings and facilities. Food seems to have been scavenged, but nothing like reckless destruction was observed. That’s what the reports say.”
“… Eerie.”

His Majesty Sein knit his brows.

“No, no, no, we should be happy that the city is not destroyed. It makes it easier to recover after we recapture it from the demons.”
“Bill, we should think about repelling the demon for now. Recovery comes later.”

Dor-sama honestly commented on His Majesty William’s carefree words.

“I wonder how’s the demon-repelling barrier.”

If the town hadn’t been destroyed, was it intact as well?

“It’s no surprise, but it seems to have been destroyed. The magic gems installed in the east, west, north and south of the imperial capital are all reported to have been broken.”
“Then, the demons made it into the imperial capital…?”

After Hilda finished her explanation, Claire-sama posed her question.

“Yes. At present, the Demon Queen and Plato seem to have taken residence in the imperial castle.”
“What about Lates?”
“We don’t know. It’s possible he might have stayed in the demon territory as the rear guard, but…”
“… We can’t be optimistic, can we?”

We didn’t have Dorothea with us after all.
We had to deal with the two remaining Great Archdukes and the Demon Queen without her.

“Philine, the imperial capital will very likely become a battlefield, but you don’t mind, do you?”
“…”