Chapter #4 - Sophie

Chapter #4 - Sophie

"That..." Sophie was about to say that it didn't make sense. But if she was being honest, it made a lot of sense. Keefe's mom was always droning on and on about potential— what's to say she wasn't a Descryer? After all, most Polyglots had a second ability. "That explains a lot, actually."

But it also caused plenty of fear to burble up inside her stomach. When Lady Gisela had captured Tam and forced him to join the Neverseen, she had kept saying that he had more potential than Sophie, Keefe, or any of their friends. Sophie thought she was just saying that because of Tam's power as a Shade, but... could she have taken some kind of reading that proved Tam had a large capacity for bad?

And could she be right?

But that was only the tip of the iceberg. There were so many— so many— times where Gisela's ability, unbeknownst to Sophie and her friends, had given her an edge. So many things they overlooked.

"As I can tell Miss Foster is thinking," Mr. Forkle said, "This means quite a bit. But although the implications are certainly huge— I also think you kids should not overlook the other part of the letter. As I'm sure you two recognized, the symbol from Keefe's memory is on this letter, and then the first sentence talks about Project Stellarlune."

"You think that symbol means stellarlune?"

"Yes. Star—stellar, moon—luna— get it?" They nodded.

Stellarlune was one of those concepts that Sophie and her friends kept hearing the Neverseen talk about, yet none of them were sure what it meant. All they knew was, as quoted from Lady Gisela, "all stellarlune does is use the natural forces in the world to bring out someone's full potential!" In other words, they knew nothing.

"So... the message Keefe gave to Ethan Benedict Wright II has to do with stellarlune."

"Project Stellarlune," Mr. Forkle corrected. But at this point, Sophie wasn't listening. Because she had just realized something big.

"How could I have been so dumb?!" she announced, cutting Forkle off. But she didn't care. "We all know Keefe. Whenever he does something reckless, he tries to do something clever and kill two birds with one stone."

"And...?" Fitz wondered.

"And we know he wants to find out more about his memory of Ethan Benedict Wright II— while still being low-profile. What better place to go to, then, than a crowded city near where Wright died?"

"London?"

"No— Dex has all the security cameras set there, and Keefe could get caught on them easily. But if my human geography knowledge is correct, I bet he went to Cambridge. The city closest to there. I bet that's where Keefe is."

Their jaws dropped, even though the city of Cambridge evidently meant nothing to Fitz. She swore she even heard Sandor do a squeaky gasp.

Sophie was shaken as well. In a good way.

They had a chance at finding Keefe now.

"I think you're right, Miss Foster," Mr. Forkle said, "But I don't think any of us should go off looking for him." He signaled towards where Sophie had been instinctively grabbing the blue leaping crystal that happened to be on the center table of Watchward Heath.

"But we have to find him... somehow, right?" she asked, somewhat desperately.

"Right. But if one of us goes to this Cambridge city, and we spot him, he'll avoid us. Probably leap somewhere else. So we need to send over someone he doesn't know super well and won't recognize immediately— a human, preferably, since they would have an easier time fitting in."

Realization dawned on her.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's call Amy."