Chapter #44 - Sophie

After Elwin's mini pep-talk, he sat up and said, "This might not be the best time, but would either of you like something to eat? I was in the middle of making Blitzenberry Muffins." Sophie's head was still spinning with thoughts, but she said yes anyway, suddenly craving the buttery muffins filled with tart berries.

It was only once the physician left the room that she realized she and Keefe would now be alone.

Keefe stretched his arms, attempting to sit up but then cringing at his tired, uncooperative limbs. He smirked. "So, Foster! What's up? Got any crazy new abilities while I was gone?"

She raised an unimpressed eyebrow.

"Sorry." He frowned. "Guess even I can't spin this into a joke. It's just, I can't believe I actually did it. Numbed my mom. And..."

The last word fell flat.

Instead, he became fixated on his own shoulder, which had the eerie magsidian device still perched on it. "Tamalp— er, Tam shadow-whispered to me while we were with the humans," he muttered, "saying he had an idea for how to get it off."

"You can talk to him tomorrow, once you've had rest," she said.

Keefe's eyes suddenly became wide. It was only when Sophie squinted that she also noticed a strand of brown hair on his shoulder, clinging to the cloth of his shirt. "It's— I think it's Alvar's. Amy's would've been curlier. I must've picked it up accidentally...." 

"Wait, Alvar's?" she asked, not sure she heard him right. Had Keefe somehow seen the treasonous Vacker?

"When I was in the Forbidden Cities... I ran into Alvar's recently dead body. The leaping crystal on his neck— it was how I could get to the Lost Cities and, um, talk to Grady. Not the greatest way to be reunited with your ex-hero, in case you were wondering." She had plenty of questions, but was caught on the words recently dead.

It quickly hit Sophie— "So that means, if someone wanted to... they could plant a Wanderling for Alvar with that hair."

"Yeah."

She teared out an eyelash in thought. Alvar had been so awful— so evil— she doubted he deserved commemoration for that. Brant and Umber didn't have Wanderlings— because no one wanted to honor somebody who did so much damage. And Alvar was worse than Brant, since he didn't have grief as an excuse. Plus...

Keefe tilted his head awkwardly, "I'm assuming Fitz would not be on Team Wanderling. Or Bi— Oh, there it is again."

"Huh?"

"Whenever something related to Fitz is mentioned... you get a weird spike of emotions." They both cringed, but Sophie suspected for different reasons.

She gave Keefe a closer look. His eyes were sunken with tiredness. His blonde hair was the slightest bit longer, its disheveledness less artful and more sloppy. The sight was full of emotions— and if recent events taught her anything, it was that those were far too precious to ignore.

Fitz had been right about that when they met up in Everglen.

"Keefe... I know you care. And I've been stupid for not seeing how much you care about me. But I also wish you'd care more about yourself, for once."

He blinked at Sophie's probably-intense gaze.

"Foster..."

"Will you try?"

"I will," Keefe promised. "In fact, can I ask you a favor?"

"What?"

"When you get the chance, can you rip up my letter? Or better— let the verminion and Iggy chew it up. I... I don't want anyone to see that thing again."

The corner of Sophie's mouth twitched. "It'd be my pleasure."

His smile was raw— but adorably sincere. And even though there were a million things left to be said, it was enough.

***

Sophie felt like collapsing.

Or maybe feeding a certain piece of paper to her pet imp.

Or maybe getting a Wanderling seed to plant Alvar's tree. Because she had decided— they couldn't just give him an unworthily peaceful spot in the Wanderling woods. But she didn't think they should toss the hair aside and deny the fact he lived and died, either. So maybe they could plant his tree somewhere harsh; put it through deserved suffering.

It would be up to the Vackers, though.

But instead, as she leaped into Havenfield's pastures, Sophie was pummeled by Grady and Edaline into a strangle-hug.

"Ohmygoshthereyouareweweresoworried—" Her dad spoke frantically.

"Are you okay?" Edaline asked, slower.

She managed a curt nod. But as she leaned tranquilly into her parents, she thought to say, "A... a lot just happened."

"We know about you guys taking Keefe's mom," Edaline said, surprising her, "I think everyone connected to the Black Swan does, at this point. The word spread quickly." Sophie pulled away, resisting the urge to curl up and blissfully fall asleep.

"Do you know if Fitz got her into Everglen successfully?"

"I believe so."

She breathed a sigh of relief— then noticed the expressions on Edaline and Grady's faces.

"Don't think you completely got out of this, Sophie," Grady reminded her, "You still shouldn't have teleported to where the army was without checking with anybody."

Sandor gave a squeaky grunt of agreement.

"I'm sorry," she muttered. "It's just— it was my human neighborhood and—"

"We understand."

Sophie's eyes shifted up to the sky, which reminded her of a watercolor painting dabbed with orange and fuchsia. The animals off throughout the estate looked like they were preparing to rest. "It's really that late, huh?"

Not that tonight would be focused on resting, Sophie assured herself. She'd stay up late checking her imparter, waiting for updates on the army situation or Lady Gisela or Keefe's ability or anything.

"It is," Edaline agreed, "And trust me, no matter what you have planned, we're going to make you rest. But... somebody did hail us, saying they wanted to talk to you as soon as possible. Grady and I told her today wasn't the greatest time, but she insisted." She and Grady took a step back, like they wanted to give this person and Sophie a private conversation.

Sophie was about to ask who it was when a black-cloaked figure came from around the corner, answering the question for her.

In Glimmer's grip were a handful of scrolls.

Clearly, it was finally time to decipher them.