Chapter #19 - Alvar

Chapter #19 - Alvar

Alvar Vacker was about to die.

He was going through another coughing fit, and it wouldn't stop. The coughing turned to wheezing turned to choking. And that's when he knew.

He wasn't going to make it.

But at least his death would be out here. At least it would be peaceful. At least he wouldn't have to have the final thing he saw be the expression on his brother's face as Alvar drowned in the goo.

His brother.

His brother was the reason all this happened.

His brother was the reason Alvar was now about to die. If Fitz hadn't been so, so perfect, then things might've turned out different.

It was the Golden Boy's fault.

But at least Alvar was dying without anyone knowing what he knew. The reason he had joined the Neverseen.

What Fallon did all those years ago— something to his DNA, to make sure none of his descendants would end up Talentless, multiple births, or anything that would make them flawed in any way. Though, not even Alvar knew exactly what he'd done. He just knew it was the only reason the Vackers were so perfect.

It was the Vacker legacy.

If Fallon hadn't done that, then maybe Fitz wouldn't be the Golden Boy.

Alvar was so grateful Fintan had recruited him and shown him the light. After learning the secret of his great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather, he had been ready to destroy everything Fallon had been a part of creating.

Joining the Neverseen was how he was gonna pay back his family for the things they took from him.

If only Alvar had known how it would play out.

Not that he regretted his decisions— but he had come pretty close.

That's what dying in a far-off field in the Forbidden Cities did to you.

When Keefe and Sophie had given him the crystal to leap away to somewhere peaceful to die, he had originally gone to the far-off ends of the calm forest of Prospectus. But he had stumbled away from Prospectus, accidentally finding himself in a soily field nearby that was clearly part of the Forbidden Cities— the terrible air quality gave it away.

It would probably make him die faster, but maybe that was a good thing.

Less pain.

Now, Alvar knew he was about to die. But as he was about to take his final breaths, he saw something. Four people running frantically away from... was there fire?

They came closer, and that's when Alvar saw who they were.

Three people he didn't recognize— and one he certainly did.

"Keefe," Alvar muttered in his raspy voice. Then he passed out, his knowledge about the truth of his family fading away with him.