Chapters #8 - Dex

Chapter #8 - Dex

"I'm sorry Rex. I... I can't do that."

"Please?" Rex's voice seemed so helpless and convincing, it almost made Dex thinking he had manifested as a Beguiler. But then he realized it was something far more persuasive. Despair.

"If I made you a gadget so you could fake an ability, and if I got caught, we'd both get in so much trouble. Then you'd face even worse scorn than if you hadn't; you'd be 'the Dizznee that faked an ability.' It's just not worth it."

"But if we never get caught..."

"Then you'd live your life with the guilt of knowing that you lied. Is that really who you want to be?"

Rex curled up into a ball on the shiny polished floor. Dex knew it was only a matter of time until his emotions got the better of him, and his brother would be bawling his eyes out. Dex curled up to his side, and his brother leaned on him for support.

"I don't know. It might be better than being Talentless."

Dex decided to use a different tactic. "You know Sophie, and how she's awful at alchemy?"

Rex nodded.

"Well, when she was taking midterms when she was first at Foxfire, she needed to pass her alchemy exam. At the time, barely any people knew she was a Telepath. So, when her alchemy mentor Lady Galvin had her guard down, she cheated and read her mind to find out what the test would be about."

"Did she get in trouble?"

"Nobody found out. But she felt awful afterwards, and eventually turned herself in. She decided she'd rather risk her reputation at Foxfire than live with the guilt of cheating. Guilt is powerful, as you know." As he said the words, Dex didn't need to be an Empath to tell that Rex's emotions were shifting.

"...I guess I'll have to live with it," he said. But he almost sounded... hopeful?

It hurt deep down in Dex's heart to say it— or even think it— but, "Yeah. I guess you do."

That's when Rex finally broke. He began sobbing as hard as you could sob.

Dex gave him a strong, loving squeeze and held on to his triplet brother for who knows how long. And when he finally let go, Rex was sound asleep.