The Stand, Part 7

Annabelle, Megan, and Sebastian listened from their seats, smiles touching their faces as Jack pulled the bow back and forth across the violin strings. Even the corners of Moriarty's mouth curled from where he leaned against the door frame of the music conservatory, his eye twitching every so often at each wrong note played.

Jack's gaze fixed on the sheet music in front of him as his fingers moved stiffly over the strings. And when he finally pulled the bow over his last scratchy note, he grimaced and dropped his head in defeat.

"I-I-I sound l-l-like a howling cat."

Sebastian burst out in laughter and Megan hid her smile behind her hand. But Annabelle was already out of her chair, grinning as she walked over to him.

Moriarty crossed his arms over his chest, his head inclining as he watched his little musician lift Jack's chin.

"You were excellent," Annabelle said. "You played with feeling, and that's hard for even professional musicians to do. Never put yourself down like that."

Jack's eyes brightened at her words, pride radiating across his features. She took the violin from him, and as she reached for the bow, he touched her arm.

"A-A-Are you really l-l-leaving for New York n-n-next week? I-I-I don't want y-y-you to go, A-A-Annabelle."

His words brought a lump to her throat. She sighed softly and gave him a reassuring smile. "Maybe you can come see me. I'd love to show you around New York. They have some incredible art galleries there."

The crease in his forehead only deepened. "But if you m-m-marry the Professor, y-y-you'll have to stay, r-r-right?"

Annabelle swallowed, but before she could give him a reply, Megan was out of her seat to the rescue.

"Come along, Jack," Megan said. "You need to finish your Calculus homework. I'll help as best I can until the Professor's ready." She gave Annabelle an apologetic smile as she set her hands on Jack's shoulders and turned him to the door.

Jack groaned as he handed Annabelle the bow. "I-I-I think I'd rather h-h-howl l-l-like a cat."

Sebastian laughed again and pushed out of his chair. "Well, I'm sure there'll be more where that came from." He sauntered over to Megan and flashed puppy dog eyes at her. "You got any more of those cranberry muffins, Meg?"

Grinning, she threaded her arm through his. "Of course I do, you big oaf. I always make three lots whenever you're around."

Sebastian tweaked her cheek. "That's my girl."

"Come along, Jack," Megan called over her shoulder as she left the room with Sebastian. She nodded at Moriarty with a knowing smile as they walked past him.

Jack groaned again, but as he followed Megan out, he glanced up at Moriarty who only scowled down at him. Jack halted mid-step and plunged his hands into his pockets.

"I-I-I'm sorry. It just came o-o-out. But I-I-I don't want her to l-l-leave."

"I know you don't, but stop apologizing for it," Moriarty said, reaching out his hand and ruffling Jack's mop of hair. "Say what you mean and stand by it. That's an order."

Jack grinned up at him and nodded.

"But you still have lessons seven and eight to finish. Maybe some algebra too while we're at." He nearly laughed when the young boy's expression dropped.

"I-I-I know," Jack said, hanging his head like he had just been given a death sentence.

Annabelle watched the interaction between the two, but when Jack left and Moriarty's attention returned to her, she cleared her throat and turned to put the violin away.