The Game is On, Part 5

"Annabelle, stop looking out the window and pay attention. I'm not going to repeat this session!"

Charles Magnussen pushed the folder into her face. Annabelle took it from his hand as she tried to concentrate on the photo that was paper-clipped to the folder.

"This is James Moriarty. He's a scientific and mathematical genius, born into one of the wealthiest families in Ireland. He was the head professor of mathematics at a small, but famed University, and practically worshiped for his accomplishments in science and technology."

Magnussen smiled and fingered his beard, his eyes glittering. "But he was unceremoniously defrocked of his title. It was discovered that Professor Moriarty was involved in various criminal activities while he taught at the University."

Annabelle studied the man's photo, his dark brown eyes penetrating her soul. She swallowed as she looked up at her tutor. "If he was so brilliant, why would he risk his position at the University?"

Magnussen rolled his eyes. "You are so grossly naive, child. He was obviously bored with the drudgery of university life and somehow realized his magnificent talents would be better spent organizing the criminal world." Magnussen smiled. "His brilliance lies in the fact that he never gets caught. He is a master of manipulation, and no matter what the British government does, they can't pin a thing on him." Magnussen chuckled. "I've also made use of his considerable abilities."

Annabelle raised her eyebrows. "Are you a criminal, Mr. Milverton?"

Magnussen paused and walked over to Annabelle. He smiled and touched her chin, lifting her face. She shivered at the coldness she saw in his eyes. "You remind me so much of your mother. You are so very lovely and your music... " He closed his eyes and twisted his head as he sighed dramatically. Opening his eyes, he smiled. "It's a shame your mother went insane. She had such potential." He leaned down and kissed Annabelle's forehead. "Dr. Moriarty has a pressure point as everyone has a pressure point, Annabelle. He just hasn't shown it yet. One day, my dear, I'll introduce you to him, and you're going to find out what that weakness is for me."

He ran his lips across Annabelle's forehead as she cringed. "You'll do that for me, won't you?"

Annabelle's skin crawled as she pushed away from him in revulsion. Magnussen's hand snaked out and grabbed a bunch of her hair, yanking her face to his. "Won't you, Annabelle?"

That's when the music started. It was quiet at first, then grew louder as it filled the room. Magnussen looked around and released her. "What is that music?" His mouth twisted in disgust.

Annabelle closed her eyes as the soothing melody started to fill her. She felt the blackness that had taken over her mind was clearing as she struggled to find the music.

(Click and listen to the music that Annabelle hears. Make sure to turn down your speakers before you listen.)

She sat up in her bed as the piano continued to play. She held her breath realizing she had been dreaming of her father. But the music wasn't a dream... or was it?

Annabelle looked around the darkened room as she tried to catch her breath. Why was the lamplight out? Who was playing the piano at this hour? She lifted the covers and got out of the bed. She tried to turn on the light, but it refused to go on as the haunting music continued to play.

Carefully, Annabelle made her way to the bedroom door. She opened it and was surprised to see the hallway lights were also off. Fear started to turn her stomach, but the music continued to beckon to her. She had to know who was playing the piano. Using the wall as a guide, she slowly made her way to the staircase. Her hands gripped the railing as her bare feet touched each stair. Like the rest of the house, the main level was cast in darkness except for a light that came from a room down the hallway. She walked towards the light, the piano music getting louder with each step. She could hardly believe the rest of the occupants of the house didn't hear it.