The Last Concerto

Annabelle lowered the letter, her hand shaking as she stared at the rest of the envelopes. "He said that in all the letters?"

Moriarty's lips were tense around the words. "All of them. And it appears you have not one, not three, but five would-be suitors, ready to come calling." His jaw hardened. "I should invite them all over so I can pick them off with the sniper gun," he growled.

Annabelle rubbed her forehead, this new revelation making her shift uncomfortably on his lap. "But Father O'Rourke knows I'm leaving for New York."

He nodded. "And I've received three letters from him this past week. Urgent ones. He's been hounded by these eligible bachelors of yours."

"Mine? I've only played for them once. That's all you would allow."

He shrugged. "Obviously, that's all it took. If I let you play there again, how long do you think it would take MI6 to find out you're here? Those eligible bachelors are already professing their undying love for the English fiddling lass." His eyes rolled over her incredulous face. "So, why do you think that is, Annabelle?"

When she dropped her eyes and absently fingered his shirt button, he shook his head and lifted her chin.

"Because you've captivated them," he continued. "You carried them away from their pathetic lives for an evening." He leaned forward and gently kissed her frowning lips. "How do you think I feel after being with you for as long as I have?"

Her lips frowned a little more as she raised her eyes to his. "Then come with me to New York. The United Nations headquarters are there." The corners of her mouth tipped into a playful smile. "Maybe you can make some new friends?"

He lifted a lock of hair grazing her shoulder and twirled it around his finger. If she understood how well he knew the United Nations' delegates, she wouldn't be asking him to come.

His gaze rested on her mouth. "I can't imagine anything more boring than dealing with all those suits," he said. "I have a reputation to uphold, little bird. Besides, Sherlock would miss me terribly."

"It'll only be for a few months at a time and we can travel back and forth."

He stared at her for a moment, his eyes searching her face. And before Annabelle could say another word, his hand moved to the back of her head, and he kissed her so firmly, so deeply, he stole her breath away.

She clung to him, wanting him more than even she could understand.

When he finally released her mouth, she leaned her face against his shoulder. Would she even have the strength to leave him when the time came?

His skin was so tantalizingly close to her lips, she smiled and gave him a little blowfish under his jaw. He broke out in laughter, his chocolaty-brown eyes twinkling as she lifted her head to look at him. He made her heart race. She couldn't get enough of him.

"There's something I want to tell you," she said, a note of seriousness in her voice.

"Don't say it," he said softly.

"But I... want to."

"No," he shook his head. "Because I need to tell you something first, and you might not want to hear it."

She hesitated, her mind swimming with all the reasons to worry about what he was going to say. Why did she think he was going to assassinate all those eligible bachelors? Or worse, send her off to New York alone. "Alright, what is it?"

He shook his head. "You sound like Jack faced with three hours of math lessons."

"When you tell me that I might not want to hear it, I tend to think you're right."