Chapter Seven: Sweet Fulfilment

The silence that fell upon them in Rossi's backyard was so heavy, no one dared to break it. Derek was brave enough to stand and follow Y/N into the house, most likely to drive her home. The rest received the message and began to dwindle away, until only Ashley and Spencer were left.

Spencer absentmindedly fiddled with the top of his cane, still stunned into silence from Y/N's heavy confession. He could feel Ashley's eyes on him, but didn't bother looking at her. His mind was racing ten times faster than it ever had before.

Ashley breathed out a sigh and kept it simple and straightforward, "Do you love her?" She asked softly.

He wished to hear some malice in her tone, thinking it might make him feel something other than shock, but all he heard was curiosity. He didn't even have to think to find the answer, but which answer was he willing to give?

"Yes." He said, not even having the audacity to see the reaction it brought upon her eyes.

He should have felt horrible for hurting Ashley, but he couldn't bring it upon himself to feel anything but relief as he replayed Y/N's words in his head. He heard her move to stand up and remained motionless as she left him on the couch. She went inside and Spencer deduced that she'd probably already taken her car and returned home. He'd have to find a different ride home but that was the least of his problems right now.

No one knew what to tell him as he passed them in the spacious living room a half hour later. No one knew where to start with him, but their unrelated hushed conversations continued on. Y/N had stupefied them all, but him especially. His heart should have been soaring because of her confession, but he knew he'd have to give Ashley a proper goodbye. She deserved one, even though he had quite literally used her in the most ungentlemanly of ways. He hadn't let themselves get too invested in the relationship, though. He'd always kept her at arm's length for fear of getting too attached.

The next day, he'd promptly gone to her apartment and given a heartfelt apology. She'd let him know how hurt she was and that she was not going to be returning to the BAU. He still felt bad, but once again, he felt like he could breathe. Like the air knew its way back to his lungs.

The weekend came and went, silence on both ends. Both lovers just stewing in their own pots. Both pots teeming with unadulterated, unconditional love and affection for one another. It could barely be contained at this point. Time seemed to float by and before they knew it they were back in the office. A new month had just begun. She felt new, she felt like she'd peeled off a layer of her skin, one that had been holding her back, trapping her within the confines of herself.

With the new month, she was called in early to have the routine monthly meeting with Hotch where they went over the itinerary of the next month. They liked to plan whatever they could given that half of the BAU's job was unpredictable.

"So, I have here the form that Strauss asked for. Also, the 6th floor's printer is a literal piece of junk and I've typed up a formal proposal so that maybe we could get a new one? I coordinated with Penelope about the funds and she says there are sufficient funds for a new printer." Y/N said, handing Hotch a typed document.

Even after all these years, her dedication to this job continues to blow him away. He'd come to see her as a work-daughter. He has taught her so much over the past few years and he'll always have a special place in her heart. He nodded, glancing over the document.

"Great, I trust you and Penelope will pick an adequate printer." He paused, sending her a smile. He noticed the slight glimmer in her eye, "I know you've been having a rough few months, Y/N, and it's not technically my place to get involved in your personal life, as your boss, but as your friend, I hope you know that I am available to help you in any way I possibly can."