Chapter Three: Minimal Loss

Some cases don't require the whole team to go investigate. Sometimes a few members go out to consult on something and come right back. Apparently, a 911 call had been received from a 15 year old girl saying that a man was sexually assaulting her and other girls her age. The call came from inside a cult's base and now Spencer and Emily were sent to the ranch to investigate the leader, Benjamin Cyrus. Y/N selfishly wanted to tell Hotch to send someone else in place of him, but she knew Spencer was the least intimidating of the bunch and so it made sense for him to go undercover as a child victim interview expert alongside Emily.

Y/N watched as JJ zoomed straight past her desk and stood behind Derek's desk, "Morgan." she said, flicking the volume button of the TV across the room, panic fighting its way through her voice.

Morgan and Y/N's attention went straight to the news reporter on the TV, "–what is reportedly being called a routine questions and answers meeting by Colorado child services has turned into a violent and deadly standoff between Colorado authorities and a French religious group known as Separtatian sect. The raid–"

"JJ, that's not the ranch Prentiss and Reid–" Morgan said, standing from his desk.

"They're still inside." JJ informed.

"HOTCH!" Morgan yelled across from the bullpen, sending panic and goosebumps to every nerve ending in Y/N's body. All she could think was, not again, please, God, not again.

Suddenly, all the phones of the bullpen began ringing. Y/N was absolutely frozen in her seat, not even aware of the phone on her desk ringing its wire off. It was like the air was heavy and she couldn't breathe. She was vaguely aware of JJ's outline as she approached her and placed her hands on her shoulders.

"Y/N. Y/N!" JJ called out as if she'd been calling her name for hours already, for all she knew, she had. Y/N unexpectedly felt a salty bead of water enter her mouth through her lips, she was crying.

"JJ...not again, JJ." She practically whimpered, shaking her head in disbelief. The blonde's heart wrenched in her chest as she thought back to the events of Georgia.

"It's okay, it's okay. We're on our way to him right now. We're going to do our best to get them out. I need you to stay strong for me now, alright? The phone's going to be ringing a lot, we need you here." JJ attempted to comfort her and Y/N was quick to compose herself, nodding.

"Yes, yes, I know. I've got it." She sniffled, rubbing her cheeks. JJ pulled her into a quick tight hug, well, as tight as she could with her growing belly between them. Y/N squeezed her tight, "You get him back to me safely, JJ." She whispered and the blonde nodded before taking off with the rest of the team.

"Is she okay?" Morgan muttered to JJ as they speed walked out of the building, secretly wondering if that's how friends should react to hostage situations.

"I'm not sure." JJ answered honestly and the two shared a pointed look.

It was no secret that there was something going on between Y/N and Reid, they knew they held intense feelings for each other, however the team decided to stay out of it...for the most part. Derek, on the other hand, was very good at not missing opportunities to mess with Reid and tease the hell out of him.

It took Spencer a while to get back on his feet, especially after Gideon had departed, but Y/N helped him every step of the way. She drove him to NA meetings whenever she could. She helped him take his mind of things when he was having cravings. She finally, finally agreed to learn how to play chess, even though she was positive she was destined to lose. She'll never forget how excited he got when she'd offered.