Freedom

Y/N POV:

"State your name" exclaimed the judge, his tone as grey as the sky outside itself. They said it would be blue. Those liars.

"Rattus rattus" I sneer from beneath my H/C fringe. Thats what they see me as anyway.

The judge clears his throat "Real name?".

I look round the room. I'm surrounded by military personnel. Why are they all here? is watching a kid in shackles, keeling in the center of a courtroom their idea of entertainment?

The judge seems to be impatient. "Y/N L/N, age 12, am I correct"?.

There are a few murmurs around the room. "Maybe it is, maybe it isnt" I snarl.

"Is it true or not!" his tone of voice turns more bitter.

"From experience, I've learned that kids shouldn't give personal information like that to old geezers, such as yourself!" I say smugly. He's starting to look pissed. Good.

A tall chestnut haired woman with glasses, wearing the wings of freedom across her heart snickered. A short man with raven hair jabbed her in the rib with his elbow. I recognize him from somewhere...

Finally a tall, bald figure yells "YES OR NO YOU FILTHY MAGGOT". He steps out of his place towards the centre of the courtroom, edging closer until he's looming directly above me, some of the soldiers lining the sides of the room flinch...scardey cats, is this meant to be intimidating or something?

"Answer me". His tone is as dry as the oak floor itself. His eyes bear the same look that people have always given me, that look of repugnance.

"Looking up at people from below makes it look as if they have a double chin, unless you are that judge guy, he's got one naturally" Half the room looks shocked that I said that, meanwhile the brown haired scout womans hands rocket to cover her mouth, to prevent an explosion of laughter, the tall blonde man with the funky eyebrows on her left, smirks, then looks away.

The bald man loses it and crouches down to my level. "GIVE US YOUR ANSWER DAMMIT YOU BRAT"

My god his breath stinks.

"Already have". I did actually, when I said to the geezer that 'I shouldn't give him information like that'.

He clenches his fist, I swear I hear his teeth gritting as well.

Finally the aging man with the handlebar moustache butts in. "She did Shadis" he then takes a swig from a metallic bottle. Probably booze. "when she said that she 'shouldn't give old geezers' information like that', implying that we got her name and age correct". Finally, someone intelligent amongst these dogs of the military.

A member of the garrison murmurs, "gosh, she's a stubborn one, too bad that she's up for execution, she wouldn't make a half bad soldier from what I read in the report."

The judge sighs, "Y/N L/N, you have committed theft against the military of the walls by stealing and redistributing ODM gear, is that correct?"

I see the familiar raven haired mans expression change for the first time, he raises an eyebrow. "Partially, however, I wasn't redistributing it".

"Our military police have done a full examination of your apartment and found several sets of gear, our evidence also suggests that you live alone, if that is correct, why were you in possession of multiple ODM sets? Our only explanation is for you to have the intention of selling it."

Finally I explode. "Hey, just because I'm from the undergrounds doesn't mean I have the intentions of selling everything I steal, your own Military Police are the ones selling military weaponry to us - " I'm cut off by a man with shaggy black hair.

"Quiet" the he sneers. He's from the MP's, clearly the bastard doesn't want to be exposed. "None of us are going to listen to lies from a rat like you" he spits violently.

Do I seriously look like a rat to you?

I continue, "I stole a large box of ODM gear from the entrance to the city when the soldiers that were supposed" I shoot a glare towards the MP section "to be manning it, however, they'd wandered off to the local bar, so I took the advantage and claimed the abandoned gear".

"Why was there a box of gear even in the underground in the first place..." a woman murmurs from behind me.

The MP man clenches his fist and the soldier next to him tenses up.

"Y/N L/N here we give you a choice. You either suffer the consequence of execution, or, as of tomorrow, are enrolled into the 104th cadet corps and train to become a soldier. You've only just got lucky because, the first day of training is tomorrow so today is the last one for enrolling recruits. This is your only chance of survival. " My eyes widen, a solider? they aren't going to kill me? I won't need to return to that underground cesspit?

"We hear that you managed to somehow figure out how to work the ODM gear, so the higher ups decided that we wouldn't want to put such skill to waste, especially considering the events of two years ago" the bald, middle aged man from the Garrison gives me a warm smile as my exhilarated eyes meet his.

"I'll take the second option, definitely" I look towards the window again, the sky is still grey however a stupendously large grin is plastered to my face.

At that moment I felt as if a thousand tonnes of bricks have been lifted off my shoulders.

Finally I'm free.

.............Or thats what I thought.