Part 13: Something to Think About

1995, Saturday, the day of their gig

3:50 p.m.

Back in the studio, the guys have spent the last two or so hours running through their set for tonight in full a few more times. They managed to get it done twice and were really happy with how everything turned out. They've got to be at the venue by 5 p.m. to have just enough time to set up their instruments and get in a full soundcheck, so they start to pack everything into the van Bobby drove over earlier in the day.

While Reggie and Bobby load the amps and their guitars into the back of the van just outside the garage, Luke stays in and helps Alex pack up his drum kit so he can talk to him about what happened before. Alex initiates the conversation.

"So... you wanna tell me what happened back there?" Alex questions, almost at a whisper.

Luke takes in a deep breath, then says, "Yea... yea, uhm... I got a little freaked when Bobby mentioned 'after the show' because I've been trying to not think about... uh... after the show... so I just went to the bathroom to splash cold water on my face and calm myself down."

Alex nods. "I had a feeling it had something to do with that. You were gone a while, though. I mean, even after Reggie went to check on you and after Bobby and I went outside." Alex says, looking up from what he's doing and at Luke. Alex lightly taps Luke's wrist so that he looks at him, and asks, "Were you alright?"

Luke's eyes flick from Alex over to Reggie and Bobby. They are inside the van organizing everything so it fits, completely distracted from the conversation the other two boys are having inside the garage. Luke takes a step closer to Alex and looks back at him. "I told Reggie i'm pansexual." Luke admits.

Alex's eyes widen and his eyebrows shoot up, stunned by the reveal. "Woah. Really? What made you decide to do it right then?" he asks in a surprised, yet almost proud, tone.

"The guilt of all the secret keeping just all... kind of... exploded at once. I was panicking and shaking and he was asking me what was going on and I just couldn't lie to him anymore." Luke says. Alex takes a second then says, "You didn't... uh..." hoping Luke will understand.

"No, I didn't say anything about us." Luke assures. "I knew I couldn't say that just yet because that involves you, too, and I know we agreed to tell both Reggie and Bobby tonight. I just... I had to get something off my chest in the meantime."

Alex turns his head to look at Reggie who is climbing out of the van, then turns back to Luke, asking. "I take it that he took it well?"

"Yes, he did. I owe him a couple explanations, but he took it well." Luke says with a light laugh.

Alex responds with a light laugh back and says, "I told you it'd be fine." Alex leans closer and lowers his voice to a whisper, "And everything will be fine later, too, okay? I was right before, now you gotta trust me again."

Luke sighs, "I know." Alex sends him a wink then turns around to get back to what he was doing.

"For now," Alex says, "let's focus on getting the rest of this packed up." Luke agrees, turning around to go back to work.

From outside in the driveway, Bobby and Reggie have just finished packing all the stuff they had with them into the van. Bobby caught the last second or two of Luke and Alex standing really close to each other and whispering, and he can't help but say something to Reggie.

"Did you just see that?" Bobby asks, leaning his head close to Reggie to avoid speaking too loudly.

"See what?" Reggie questions, quickly looking from his two friends back to Bobby. Bobby continues, "They were just standing really close and whispering about something together like they didn't want us to hear what they were saying."