Act 1 Scene 1

Lea wore her dark pink leggings with her bright red tank top, her lips pursed, eyes full of concentration. Her arms extended right above the easel, holding her paintbrush.

"Are you even listening?" I asked.

"Umhmmm." She said distractedly, her hand still hesitant to paint on the easel. I sat on her bed, back against her overflowing pillows. She faced me, eyes looking at mine.

"The eyes are always the easiest to paint, if you know the person at least. Strangers are always the hardest to do." I groaned, so she wasn't listening.

"Lea, summers over! We won't be going to the same school anymore. Who goes to Cove School anyways? I won't know anyone!" I said leaning into the pillows.

"I think Tab is rubbing off of you, you're starting to act like a drama queen." I smiled at that and replied,

"Well I am a good actress." Lea cracked a smile, then she set down her paintbrush and sat on the bed.

"You know, I heard Rosa goes to Cove high school... And a guy named Joel..." My heart leapt, I sat back straight. Then I hesitantly asked, trying to seem like I didn't care when I asked,

"So... are they still dating?" Lea made a sour face.

"Yah, I don't know what he sees in Rosa that makes her datable, he's not her type."

I leaned on her mountain of pillows and sighed.

"What was that?" Lea asked, prodding me. I rolled over and pleaded,

"Nothing, can we just talk about something else?"

"You mean someone else?" I turned and glared at her,

"Alright, alright." She said, holding up her hands in surrender.

"Are you coming to the Halloween Party?" I sat up, that was a different topic.

"Of course! You know it's the only time I have an excuse not to go trick or treating with my dad!" She laughed, and so did I. The last time I tricked or treated with my dad he made me be Tinkerbell, and he was Peter Pan.

I nearly snorted out laughing, "Wasn't that 10 years ago?" "Exactly, you just have to make sure you're not available, works every time." Lea could always cheer me up, it was just how she was.

"I heard Joel will be there," my eyes going wide, a fluttering sensation in my heart I try to ignore. Truth is, I've had this thing for him for a while now, and didn't know he was dating anyone till I saw her kiss him at the new year's dance...

A memory I would rather avoid.