Console the Console Cheat

6 October 1539. Border Town Kurat, Salais

"The writing's on the wall," the grizzled General Remus said. "We've managed to contain the incident, but two mercenary groups have disappeared into the night. Some of our sentries that have spotted them have been overpowered and killed while we were too busy saving as many supplies before the fire was put out."

"Those rogues," Princess Emilia of Salais rubbed the bridge of her nose while her attendants dressed her in her armor. "Spread their names across the land. They can continue to join us until the end or flee in disgrace as collaborators. Either in victory or defeat, they will suffer for leaving the employers they had just offered their services to."

The Princess stormed out of the inn — the old Knight General following — and into the town hall. She stopped by the door; Deep breaths, she thought. A hand descended on her shoulder. Uncle Remus gazed down at her, telling her it'll be okay. Being a woman was hard. But before that, she was Salaian. Emilia revealed herself to the seasoned commanders and lords of the Salaian Army in the middle of a discussion around a large map. They rose from their seats, placing a fist to their chest.

"As you were," she grabbed a seat from the side. "I believe everyone has been briefed on the recent developments?"

The cadre of officers nodded with irritating scowls. Being a woman was tough. Development was an understatement, she could already imagine them saying. Who could blame them? Nobody expected the Hero to attack the respected Mercenary Guild with severe sanctions, a baffling decision Salais didn't hesitate to exploit. Emilia formed a genuine curiosity to study the young man responsible for it, understanding what kind of person he was to convince the Cascadian King to decree it. Today, she found her answer and hated it.

"It appears our worst fears have been realized, Your Highness," Supreme General of the Army Ianuli planted his pointing stick to three green pieces at the Kingdom of Kirchmor. "As far as the Kingdom of Kirchmor is concerned, they see the Salaian Mercenary Legion as hostile brigands inhabiting their country with no ties to Salais, begging for subjugation after losing their guild protection."

Ianuli swerved the stick to the green pieces representing Kirchmor, their positions blocking the legion's path to Salais. Whether the Hero has spoken with the Kirchmorians or the latter intends to eliminate the legion to gain his favor, they have to act fast.

"It is imperative that we must move immediately with the Hero's Mandate Force nowhere to be seen on the border. Cascadia's army is growing by the day. If we wait for the rebellion, we cannot successfully capture our objectives before winter."

A gust of wind entered the tent, bringing leaves of different shades of yellow and orange.

"That would mean using our men as expendable flocks for the slaughter!" a lord said. "Have we forgotten what happened to the legion's advanced scouts after an encounter against the Hero's soldiers?"

"Then we shall let the traitor legion have the honor to be the vanguard for our forces. The New Laurentia does not need turncoats, after all. Once they've expended all their ammunition, we shall finish them swiftly."

Emilia found herself and the rest nodding to Ianuli's suggestion. After decades of planning, the entirety of their Kingdom is praying for their success, and they must deliver. A robed man on the side of the tent stared as the discussion progressed. What would they do in a time like this? It didn't hurt to ask.

"Mister Gawter, we'd like an opinion from a Belosean strategist if you permit."

He looked over the other end of the table to see all eyes settled on him and barely hid his exasperated sigh. Everyone held themselves from shouting discourtesy. Salais wouldn't have done everything happening now if it weren't for Belosea's help in exchange for being test subjects to refine their art of war. Once the reunification finishes, they would have a good standing to become Belosea's strategic ally in Western Verussea and monopoly of the Hero Summoning.