Pride, Prejudice, Police Action

Rebel Camp, 12 October 1539

The Baron of Hentworth walked with a limp. How terrible it was to get caught on their artillery on the first day. His left leg failed him again as he staggered. Fortunately, his attendant was there to catch him. At first glance, his leg didn't have a wound. It was all on the mind, he thought. Healing magic might heal skin and bones, but it left an irreversible scar for the new flesh and muscles to accommodate themselves.

"My Lord, please don't force yourself," the attendant lifted him to his feet.

"Bah," he waved. "The more I move, the faster these new muscles become one with my body."

"As a healer, I still wouldn't advise you to–"

The air clapped, originating west. Not one in the vanguard failed to recognize the sound of the Mandate Force's repeating muskets, especially those that slew the Salaian-Mercenary wyvern corps. The first raid for the night must've begun. The Baron grimaced. At what cost did their forces brave through artillery for two straight days? The screams of men taken to the healing station were still fresh in his mind. He couldn't find it in him to execute deserters. At least in their formations, death was quick and merciful. Having spread across the fields while the cannonade continued only left everyone thinking if they were next.

The light torches on the path dimmed. "That's a refreshing face, Mister Hentworth. Pray no one sees it, lest they question their commander's ability."

A greying man appeared behind him, the distinct armor revealing his identity.

"Your Grace, I–"

The Duke of Yamasashi raised a hand. "I thought I told you to remain in the healing station until you can recover."

"I understand, My Lord, but..."

His eyes squinted. "Why did you join the rebellion?"

"To–" Hentworth hesitated. The Duke knew well why he did, but why ask? "To prevent Cascadia from falling into the decadence; To see a return of the Laurentian Kingdom."

"And what do you mean by 'decadence,' Baron? Everyone has their own opinion of what we define as 'decadence.'"

The Baron's blood ran, but he found himself gritting his teeth as the Throne of Cascadia came to mind. A constitutional monarchy? Will of the People? What a bunch of idealistic drivel! There's a limit to how much the world can adopt an idea from Earth. It works, oh sure, but Verussea was Verussea. They must create what works for them than radically introduce something they themselves know not of the ramifications and understanding how it will affect the whole of society.

You do not eat meat if you haven't cooked it and expect not to fall ill!

"The Crown has allowed itself to grow weak and let the Aristocracy have power over the Kingdom. Laurentia had good laws, but that did not stop the Parliamentarians from usurping the throne. Only a strong powerbase like the one His Majesty Charles of Salais has can prevent a return of the Conclave Era."

"Oh? You're only twenty-two. You have so much future ahead of you, yet you tarnish that away for something that can be settled in the Court? Surely it wasn't out of principle for my supposed daughter-in-law."

Hentworth gulped. The lively face of the young Princess appeared before it faded away, returning into the most vulgar sight clad in the white officer uniform with a bloodied rapier. The young Baron lowered his head, his face hard, trying to prevent a scowl from forming.

"What my father did was inexcusable even for my sake. Being demoted from a Marquis to a Barony out of mercy for my young self by the King is a disgrace," he took a breath. "However, it's also why they are weak. If they had executed me alongside my father, I wouldn't have become the man I am now."