Chapter 19- Calix's POV

Sleep still hasn’t come, and I can almost make out the suns first few rays slipping through the window. Bruin lays beside me, his head tucked in his arm. He looks so peaceful that I’m suddenly worried that I might wake him.

  Sleep claimed Bruin and Marcus hours ago, and they have both been sound asleep since. I’m slightly jealous. Sleep just passed me by.

  I carefully sit up, being careful not to wake Bruin, or Marcus for that matter. Neither stirs as I head out our door, deciding to leave it slightly ajar, which seems to be a better option rather than closing it.

  Mama is sitting out in the kitchen, again, her knitting needles laying in her lap. I smile, watching her peaceful face. She doesn’t move, she just sits, making me wish that I could do the same, but I have more important things on my mind.

  I head towards the front door, careful again to be as silent as possible.

  I step out the door, closing it quietly. I begin jogging towards the woods, hoping to seek solitude. To get away from my crazy life, even if it’s only for an hour or so. I reach the warehouse within ten minutes, pressing against the cold metal siding. I look around, but no one seems to be out and about yet.

  I dart for the tree line, watching for fallen branches. I stop and take a big breath, smiling at the trees, well rather what the trees are concealing. I notice pink high heeled shoes laying on the ground next to the tree I climbed a couple of days ago. Liana.

  “A week ago you would have scared me to death!” I call, watching as her feet which are dangling from the tree still, no longer gently kicking the air.

  “Calix… I know I said I wouldn’t come here anymore, I just- I needed to come, even if it was for a little bit. Today is a big day for me,” Liana’s voice breaks at the end. She sounds like she is on the brink of breaking into tears.

  I walk towards the tree, looking up at Liana. I can’t help but gasp a little.

  Her hair is done up in curls, part of her hair in a fancy bun, although some curls were left to frame her pale face. She is wearing a deep red lipstick, and other makeup I can’t quite name. She is wearing a light pink dress, made of lace, and the color matches her shoes perfectly.

  “Today is your birthday,” I say. “You start The Courting today.”

  Liana nods, her usually pleasant demeanor completely vanishing.

  “Could you grab my shoes and help me down?” Liana asks. I step forward, reaching for her shoes, nearly dropping them. I slip them onto her small feet, marveling at their size. My foot is about three times as large. I shake my head, bring myself back to the task at hand.

  I put my hands up, setting them gently on her waist and help her down from the tree, making sure I don’t snag her dress on the bark. Once she is back on the ground, she sends me a grateful smile.

  “We should take a walk,” I say, looking out at the bare trees surrounding us. “You look bored.”

  Liana laughs.

  “I kind of am,” She says. “Although I’m more worried than anything.”

  I nod, because to a certain degree, I feel like I understand. Of course I will never be a part of The Courting, but I know what she is feeling. She’s feeling trapped. I have felt that way for as long as I can remember.

  “Don’t worry about me,” Liana says, laughing slightly.

  “I can’t not worry. I’ve been trapped my whole life, living in this weird… I don’t even know what to call it. We live in a Unit, and the last time a girl was born… Well, that was eighteen years ago as of today. You’re worried about becoming trapped. I honestly can’t blame you.”