Chapter 5- Liana's POV

I scoop my jewelry up off of the floor, grabbing my jewelry box. I’m such a klutz. Little diamonds and large rubies sparkle back at me, tempting my eye. They shimmer whenever I shift them back and forth in my palms.

  “Liana! You’re five minutes late for your lessons. Hurry please!” Papa says though he doesn’t raise his voice. 

  I sigh, gently setting the glittery temptations back into their rightful place, grabbing my satchel off of my bedside dresser, quickly rummaging through it, making sure I have everything. 

  I race to the stairs, but then remind myself to walk slowly down them, taking my time as always. Papa stands at the bottom of the stairs, his puke already resting in his palm. He gives me a tight squeeze, lightly pressing his lips to my cheek. 

  “Today is a big day for you,” He whispered to me, his words laced with emotion, “Listen carefully and be wise my child.” 

  I nod, replaying his encrypted words in my head. 

  “Good bye papa. See you in an hour,”

  I push past him, heading towards the door. I look back and see him smiling sadly starring at his pipe.

  I shake my head. I need to hurry. I’m late. 

  “Two days in a row? Are you trying to set a record?” Adira asks, her frizzy salt and pepper colored hair sticking up.

  “I apologize.” 

  I scurry to my seat, thankful it doesn’t creak again. 

  “Now that miss Liana has finally arrived, fifteen minutes late might I add, we may begin,” Adira pulls out a large leather bound book, dust clinging to its cover. 

  “We are going to begin discussing The Courting. Liana, has your father discussed this with you?” I shake my head, my heart rate picking up.

  Adira sighs. 

  “That man is… Liana, The Courting is a series of events set up for a boy and a girl that belong to the village. It’s a courtship. You shall court someone in this room, and only in this room. Eventually we will hold the Enduring Ceremony, but only after a decision has been made. Liana, when you turn eighteen your courtship will begin.”

   I feel every eye in the room on me. My head spins, and I have to hold my hand to my stomach to keep from losing my composure. I will be eighteen in less than a week, and I am only now hearing of this.

  My mind races. 

  Someday, someone in this room will be my suitor? The thought makes me disgusted. I have known these boys since before I can remember. I’m not ready to throw away my childhood. And I certainly dint want to have to choose one of them. Love is supposed to find you, not be forced on you. My heart breaks at the thought. 

  Clay puts a hand on my shoulder.

  “Hey. You okay? Calm down. Relax.” 

  Easier said than done.

  I nod, and take a few deep shuddering breathes. 

  “Thank you, Clay.”

  Adira clears her throat.

  “Liana. You may leave early today. I must talk to the men.”

  I gulp. A day ago she would have called them boys, or even young men, but today; they are men. My heart aches for our lost childhood. Scraped knees and naïve words. Fairytales and dreams.

  Adulthood has come to us all too fast. It came within a few seconds. Childhood left even faster than that.

  I walk out of the shack, walking towards the path. I feel the need to go back to the woods, but I’m too afraid. I can’t trust my brother.

  I decide to instead venture back towards my house, kicking at the pebbles underfoot.

*Happy Thanksgiving!*