Chapter 8- Calix's POV

I try to close my eyes and drift off, but it just isn’t happening. My mind keeps wandering back to dinner. Papa had actually cleaned up the glass, then gone and checked mama’s feet, making sure no shards had pricked her skin. He had actually talked at dinner, not just complained. He asked about lessons, and joked with us about girls, not knowing that was a sore subject.

  I hadn’t seen papa like this since Bruin was born. Papa became a gambler not long after Bruin’s birth and within a few months had gambled away all our money, our house, and most of our possessions. He tried to drown his sorrows in liquor, but little good that did him. Within a year we went from a family in a small house, to a mama and three boys afraid of their papa’s wrath. And I will never forget the first time he hit me.

  We had been outside, collecting timber for a fire. I was carrying too much, and then a few branches fell, which triggered an avalanche of branches. Papa had told me that if they got wet, we’d have to wait for them to dry, and that would have set us back. He took a branch and smacked my cheek with it. I had a deep gash for weeks, and whenever someone asked about it, I had been too afraid to tell them.

  I look over at Bruin, looking at his chest as it rises and falls slowly. He has been beaten many times. More than I can count. He’s stronger than many people think.

  Marcus heaves a sigh, and I look over at him. His crystal clear blue eyes are open wide, staring up at the ceiling.

  “Marcus,” I whisper. “You can’t sleep either?”

  He sighs again.

  “Nope. My mind is on other things I guess.”

  “Me too,” I say while stretching, being careful not to hit Bruin while doing so.

  Marcus turns his gaze to me, his teeth biting into his lip in concentration.

  “Papa was different today. I didn’t feel afraid of him, Calix. And before I went to bed, I saw him hugging mama. He hasn’t acted like that since before I can remember.”

  I nod, listening to Marcus, but also Bruin’s little snores.

  “It was strange. I hope it lasts though. Just think Marcus, if papa was back to the way he used to be, maybe he could help us turn our lives around and get back to where we left off seven years ago.”

  Marcus laughs gruffly, pulling me from my thoughts.

  “How foolish. He’ll never be that papa again. Go to sleep Calix,” Marcus instructed.

  I do not have any older siblings, but right now, I think I understand what it’s like to be reprimanded by one. Marcus’s authoritative look, the twitch of his jaw, the way he is making me feel like an awestruck child. I don’t like it at all. I swallow the lump in my throat. Marcus is younger than me, which leads me to believe I have the right to be authoritative, and he does not.

  “It could happen Marcus. Papa could change by tomorrow morning. You. Don’t. Know.”

  Marcus just laughs, and rolls onto his other side, facing away from me.

  My stomach boils, and my skin tingles. He is the most pessimistic person I have ever met, and I’m worried that it will rub off on little Bruin. But if I was being honest, I’d probably admit that I’m really more scared of it rubbing off on me.

  I wake up, sun trickling in through the window, creating warm patches on my face. I look to Bruin’s side of the bed, but he’s not there. He must have gotten up early.

  “Hey, Marcus, about last night… I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have gotten angry with you,” I say, looking over the side of my bed, but I’m shocked to see Marcus isn’t sitting there, rolling his eyes at me. All that’s there though, is a bundle of blankets, and a small downy pillow.

  I know I must have slept in, though I’m not sure why.

  I hear voices in the dining room, and I bolt out of bed, making my way towards the voices.

  Mama, papa, Bruin and Marcus are all lounging around the kitchen table, looking quite full. I look at my spot at the table, seeing a large scoop of eggs, three strips of bacon, and a piece of toast covered in a thick layer of margarine.

  Mama looks up at me first and smiles.

  “Would like some breakfast, dear?” She asks, starting to push herself up from her chair. Papa stands, putting his hands out, helping mama to sit back down.

  “I’ll get it for him,” Papa says, walking over to a pitcher full of creamy, and seemingly fresh, milk. He grabs a little cup, pouring the milk into it. He hands it to, and actually smiles.

  I walk over to the table, scooting up to my place setting. I feel like every eye is on me as I take a small bite of each item, and a small sip of milk.

  Finally, I have to ask the most intriguing question racing in through my brain.

  “How did we get this?” I ask cautiously.

  Mama smiles, looking over at papa.

  “Your papa went to the lumber mill today, and worked there for a couple of hours. He used his money from that to buy us this breakfast.”

  Papa smiles at mama, putting a hand over her small one.

  Bruin, Marcus and I exchange looks, and Marcus rolls his eyes.

  “We need enough food for all these mouths to be fed,” Papa says, and mama blushes wildly.

  “Please, shh,” She says, patting papa’s hand.

  Bruin, slams his fist on the table, and we all turn with a jerk to look at him.

  “What is going on?” He asks, looking to papa.

  Papa huffs a breath.

  “We need to tell them.”

  Mama nods. 

  “Okay.”