Chapter 9- Liana's POV

I let my bare feet dangle over the rippling water, letting my toes dip in the ice cold water. My brothers and I used to come out here to the pond this time of year, competing, trying to see who could keep their feet in the icy water the longest. Fergus usually won, his patience long and durable, his self-control impossibly intact. I’ve always been jealous of Fergus for those reasons. In some ways he is like the rest of our family. He resembles Papa, his hair a reddish brown color, reaching down to his shoulders, and he did get Mama’s eyes. The same chocolate brown I am blessed with. But that’s where his similarities to our family end. He is always focused, always patient, and an amazing leader. Fergus is Papa’s favorite son, I know it. Though Fergus doesn’t have much competition for that title, only Blaze, and like I said, no competition. I finally have to pull my toes out, the tips turning numb, but they feel like they are burning when they meet the chilled air. I inhale sharply through clenched teeth, patting the ground around me, looking for my socks and shoes.

  I hear a deep laugh from behind me.

  “Why are you out here, Liana? Don’t you have lessons,” Fergus’s voice registers in my ears, resonating in my temples.

  I shrug.

  “Adira said she needed one more day with the boys- er, men,” I say, stumbling over my words

  Fergus chuckles again, this time the sound sounding kind spirited and light.

  “You’ll get used to it, I’m sure,” He says, tossing my socks and shoes into my lap.

  I smile, looking over my shoulder, but Fergus is already on his way back up to the house, his hair sliding back and forth across his cream colored shirt. I watch him until he walks into the house, closing the door behind him.

  I pull my socks and shoes on, then I carefully reach into my pocket, pulling out the wrinkled piece of paper that Blaze gave to me yesterday. It looks exactly the same, but every time I read it, it seems completely different, and more confusing.

    It is seen that light and darkness will bicker. Future and past will quarrel. But the good and bad will unite. Time will tell. The outcome will haunt.

  I push it back into my pocket, pushing myself up, coming to my feet. I look down the path, seeing Blaze coming up the trail. His hands are shoved deep into his pockets, his hair ruffled and dirty, like he had tumbled and rolled in dirt. Mud is smudged under his left eye, and I wet my finger when he reaches me, trying to rub it away.

  “Hey Lia. Was today better?” He asks, his gaze traveling up to meet my eyes.

  “I didn’t have to go,” I say, rubbing harder at the dirt under his eye. His hand traps mine, and he plants a soft kiss on the top of my pale hand.

  “Did you read the paper?” He asks, his voice muffled by my hand, so only I can hear him.

  I nod, patting my leg with my bare hand, pretending to rub warmth into my thigh. He smiles, winking. It feels nice for Blaze and I to be working together for once. We are a joint unit, working to keep the paper a secret, though the reason is unknown to me.

  Blaze slings an arm around my shoulder, pulling me along, up the path, towards our house.

  Fergus is waiting inside, slouched in a wooden chair by the window.

  “What happened to you Blaze?”

  Blaze holds up a finger, placing it gently over his lips.

  “We’ll talk later,” He says, pointing to me.

  “No,” I say, “Whatever you have to say, you can say in front of me. I’m tired of people keeping things from me,” My arms are folded over my chest, my bottom lip jutting out like a pout.

  Fergus steps towards me, ruffling my hair.

  “Not now Liana,” He says chuckling.

  I pivot, looking at Blaze desperately.

  “Sorry Lia. Maybe another time.”