04

November 13th, 1952

I stand gazing over the ledge of the metal fence, the shock settling in. The fact that I just did that, all within hours, is a bit too much for me. I stare blankly for minutes, expressionless, until I see a few people's lights turn on, and voices rise. The morning's here.

Just as I start to push my window up once again and wait for my misdemeanor to be exposed, a door opens and a guys steps out, catching my eye. He's dressed in a dark green jumpsuit, almost the same shade as my hat, and I notice a full beard surrounding his face. He whistles a jolly tune as he approaches the garbage can.

The garbage can that I just 'used'.

My eyes fatten to what I imagine look like discs, swearing myself for not considering this. Squatting down quickly on my windowsill, I pull my hat down further, intently stalking the janitor. He closes the lids as far as they'll go, which isn't too far given the bloated trash bags. I stare down at him, waiting for him to notice the stench.

He spins the can around, so that he's facing the backside, and kicks up the wheels, grabbing the handle. I stifle a laugh as he almost falls onto his butt, shocked. He regains his position, slightly faltered, and looks around awkwardly. I can't help but smirk.

He brushes himself off, and kicks the garbage can slightly more aggressively, his whistling nonchalantly picking back up. He turns out of the alley, simultaneously out of my sight. I rush down the ladder, not caring who's cussing me out. My bare feet hit the cool ground, still damp from the morning dew. I tiptoe after him, slipping into the shadows with every off-movement he makes. What was I thinking, taking the easy way out of this?

He loads the bags into a massive truck, and I wince when the top one hits with a crunch. That's gotta hurt.

"Careful, she's heavy today!" He waves to the driver, and the driver pulls away without a response.

He turns and I chew my bottom lip, quickly disappearing back into the alley. As I hear his footsteps trail behind me, my heart races. I refuse to turn and face him, fear of him somehow knowing what I did stressing me.

Step, step. Step, step, step...

My feet pick up the pace as I approach my ladder, but a chill runs through me as he calls out.

"Hey!"

Oh, god, this is it! I'm gonna die today. I take a deep breath, debating whether or not I should just beat it out of here.

"Yeah?" I ask sheepishly, half turning. He can't know, right? That's impossible.

"Have a nice day,"

I nod, covering my astonishment. I must've been an idiot to think that he'd know. He's just a janitor. My shoulders slightly relax, and I let out a breath I hadn't noticed I've held.

"You too."

I turn on my heel, a grin prominent on my lips as I climb back up the ladder. My pride falls with another shout.

"Oh," Every muscle in my body pulls, anticipating him to report me then and there. Just get it over with!

"And, ease up a bit. No need to be so tense, right? He chuckles, and without waiting for an answer, disappears behind the rusted metal door he originally came from. My jaw clenches. Little does he know.

I grip the freezing ladder and scale back up to my window, the television continuing to echo throughout the tiny apartment. No news yet, just some more dramatic music. I look up at the clock on my wall, dissatisfied to see that it's only 8:00 am. I have a whole day to spare. I lay on my side, facing the television. But I don't pay attention, I just sit there and think.

꧁꧂

My eyelids flutter open, dazed after my unintentional nap. The news caster running his mouth about whatever. I prop my head up with my elbow, looking around.

1:43 pm.

I sharply inhale, my direction shooting back towards the news guy who's finally quit yapping, and is now looking a little left from the camera, concerned. His head turns back, and with a shaky voice, continues the broadcast.

"We've found a man who looks identical to King Jasper with a stab wound left on the side of his torso. Paramedics are seeing him now, and we're awaiting an answer to this mystery," He looks back up from the camera, his expression dropping furthermore. His eyes dart back to the camera, and I can only imagine the stressed eyes staring back at him from thousands of screens across the kingdom. That blanket of guilt returns.

"It isn't looking good." I can almost feel the mood drop throughout our village. It's almost as if everyone stopped breathing, and we're all just dreaming. Maybe it is a dream.

The screen switches to who I think is Queen Florence, held by her new husband, Percy. His eyes are as cold as ice, and he looks like the death doesn't even phase him. Almost as if he'd expected it. His wife, on the other hand, is speaking incoherently through what are obviously fake sobs, (I would hope they're fake, because if not, this just got very humiliating,) her lips are moving as if she's speaking, but all I can hear are her cries. When the newscaster is put back on, he looks like he's holding in a laugh. Aren't we all?

"Well, that sure was.. something. Inspiring words. The former King's funeral reception will be held tomorrow, 3:00 pm, throughout the kingdom," By that they obviously mean the wealthy parts, "And anyone who can make it is welcome. We hope to see you there." The news switches to the orchestra, now playing a depressing song. With that, I take a deep breath, not even bothering to wonder how they found out so soon. At least they don't know it's me, right?

I get to my feet, switching the television off. I stare out of my window at a woman cooking in her apartment, three kids running around her. I would pity her, but now I almost envy her. I envy her for not throwing her life away. I envy her peaceful smile. I envy the life I once would've hated.