14

November 17th, 1952

The sun shines through my thin shades, interrupting my sleep. I find it harder than usual to keep my eyes open, so I rub them with my palms, hoping my vision clears up soon. As well as this miserable neck cramp, which I crack as I stretch my arms out. I still barely keep by eyes open as I wake up, and moving is a struggle. I yawn, and lie back on my side with a groan, my eyes fluttering shut for a few more moments of rest.

"Morning."

My eyes shoot open, but I remain in the same position. My heart hammers in my chest, like a drum in my ears. I quickly sit up, turning to my right.

"Hi." I say in a single breath. Oliver props himself up on his shoulder, resting his head in his hand without another word. He just looks at me. I stare back at him with my lips parted. I shake my head slightly, finding my breath uneven and shaky.

"What hap- Did we sleep together?" My eyebrows furrow as he rolls onto his back, laughing. "No, no. I mean yes- We did, but not like that." He smiles, looking up to the ceiling.

"Then what happened?" I ask, barely finding the energy to be frustrated with his lack of context.

"We walked and talked for the rest of the night, you eventually snuck into a kitchen and found some wine.."

I raise my eyebrows. This can't be any good.

"Oh, don't worry, I didn't encourage it," He adds, noticing my expression. "You just really insisted that you'd be alright." He gives a smug grin, but cuts it at my glare. "When you opened the bottle, I tried getting you to your room- you know, for rest, but by the time we made it you had already downed half of the bottle," That explains my hangover. "And, uh, long story short, you kissed me."

Just then, Maggie knocks on the door, and I, in a panic, pull the sheets over Oliver's head, resting my arm and leg over him, under the blanket. I hear him trying not to laugh as Maggie comes in with a tray for breakfast. I lightly swat the back of his head.

"Thank you, Maggie." She bows with a sweet smile, sliding the tray to my bedside table.

"How were the suitors?" She asks. Her intentions are in no harm, but this is just the last thing I need right now. What Oliver just told me is still processing, so I give Maggie a short answer.

"They were great! It went really good." I smile and nod her way, feeling Oliver's giggles against my shoulder, which I push towards him. Maggie beams, enthusiasm through the roof just from that tiny lie. She looks around the room for a minute before leaving me to eat my biscuits and tea. As soon as the door shuts, I pull the sheets from Oliver, my free hand massaging the bridge of my nose at his childish laughs. "I kissed you? And you stopped me, right?" I interrupt, irritated by his carelessness. He nods. "Of course. I'm not an animal, I just stayed to make sure you didn't do any damage. Although you did pass out as soon as I stopped you. It wasn't all that ladylike." He laughs at me once again, though I can't help the giggle that escapes my lips.

"You are an animal."

I bring myself from the bed, as uncomfortable as it is. My joints crack as I reach for the ceiling, yawning again. I make my way to the bathroom, grabbing a lavender gown as I walk by my closet. Before I open the bathroom door, I look over to Oliver, who's standing from the bed, shirtless. Usually something so stupid would make me laugh, but I feel my cheeks burn instead. He picks the undershirt from his suit from my bedroom floor, and I drag my attention from him quickly before stepping into the bathroom.

I drape the gown on a towel rack before looking at the mirror. I almost don't recognize myself without makeup on anymore. I tilt my head to the side, staring at myself before changing.

꧁꧂

I look across the room to see Oliver admiring 'my' paintings. His hair is still messy, and he wears a button-up with suspenders and his suit pants. Despite his tangled look, he still pulls it off. His suit jacket is a little wrinkled in is hands. He turns, then looks back to the paintings. "Are these yours?" He tilts his head as he runs his fingers over a landscape.

"I guess so." I say, and he turns back to me.

"You guess?"

I shut my eyes for a second.

"I mean, yeah they are, uh,"

He nods, looking back at the paintings. "Neat." is all he says as he admires them for another minute, and all I feel as I watch is guilt. They aren't really mine.

"Well, I should probably get ready, I, um, I have to do a date today." I try not to sound too dreadful. I would really rather just wait this hangover out here.

"Alright, well," He looks me up and down. "Are you not already ready? You look stunning."

I look up at him with a smirk. "Unbelievable."

He reaches for my hand, lightly kissing my knuckle. "I'll see you later then, Aurora." He leaves the room, and I'm left there, cheeks red as roses.

꧁꧂

"Yup," I answer question after question that the suitor asks, none of them leading anywhere. He seems almost as bored as me, although that must be near impossible.

"And you've lived here all your life?"

I rest my head in my hand, feeling my cold skin against my palm. "Mhm." I nod slowly, looking over the mountains instead of at my date. He clicks his tongue and looks off to the castle, not even waiting to be bold.

"So when do I like," He stops mid sentence when I look over at him.

"Hm?"

"When do I um, get paid for this?" He laughs, but quickly stops at my bored glare. I feel a grin of amusement on my lips, and I chuckle, letting out a scoff.

"What?" He asks, while awkwardly laughing. "What's so funny?"

"You don't get paid, Trevor."

"It's Aust-"

"You aren't getting paid. And you aren't staying any longer than this week. I hate to say it, but this wasn't fun, at all." I stand from my seat, grabbing my hot chocolate and nodding to the guards as I walk past. The audacity these guys have is enough for me to want to turn myself in.

What I found most interesting on that shockingly bland date is how different it felt from this morning. Such a different situation, but really, I found myself lacking the compatibility I had with Oliver. I just hope that the rest of my dates go differently than this.