Letti Adler Maren

After being picked up in a pearl encrusted royal carriage, we are dropped off at the palace and brought to Lord Merikh's -our- quarters. Unlike Elysian, it is apparently customary here to sleep in the same quarters as one's partner. I can't say I didn't wish it were otherwise, but at least I get my own bedroom and a ladies maid.

My new ladies maid is called Cordelia, which sounds to me like a noble woman's name, but apparently she does not seem to have any royal blood. Something like this would be frowned upon in Elysian, but I suppose things are different here.

She has blood orange hair, almost the colour of the vibrant goldfish I used to own as a child. Her eyes are blue, and her skin pale, which I suppose is natural if you've lived on the bed of the ocean for all your life. I can't imagine much sun manages to sift it's way through the waves.

Cordelia is sweet natured, much like Safira, and quite shy as well. If she's easily manipulated I could use her to help me with my promise to my mother. If she's kind hearted I could befriend her and likewise get her to help me. After all, I'll need all the help I can get.

These thoughts swirl around my head as she pins up my hair in an elegant sort of half bun. It's strangely dry inside the buildings, the air less liquid and more gas, and my dress and hair not floating around me.

I am not wet either, despite having been outside. It's rather confusing really.

Cordelia is preparing me for a dinner with the other noble families. And my husband, of course.

I hope there isn't too much food because I'm still stuffed from my wedding banquet, and I hardly ate anything then. It seems like rather a long time ago that I was sitting at the table in the House of Aurelia with Winnow and Solandis.

Cordelia moves to undo my necklace.

"No!" I say, "I mean, I'd rather keep it on if that's alright..." I trail off, trying to think of an explanation, and decide to tell a half truth, those are always easiest. "My mother gave it too me." I tell her, my cheeks rising in colour in embarrassment at my outburst.

Cordelia only smiles a little and starts to unlace my corset.

"I didn't bring any of my clothes..." I tell her.

"That's not a problem," she says cheerfully, laying my corset on a divan embroidered with elegant coy fish. She walks into a large wardrobe, my wardrobe, and re-emerges with a full skirted jet-black dress, the hem lined with pearls and the long sleeves fringed with dainty white lace. Rather morose, considering I just got married.

Cordelia must read this in my face because she smiles again and says;

"We thought it might be more respectful, seeing as your still in mourning."

I find myself smiling faintly back at her. Thoughtful.

She smooths out the dress on the divan and lifts up the skirts to pull them over my head.

"What about a corset?" I blurt out.

Cordelia only smiles.

"We don't do that here." Is all she says before I'm lost in the many skirts.

Don't do corsets? Why-ever not?

But Lord Merikh waltzes in, not even bothering to ask if I'm presentable first, before I can ask Cordelia about this incivility.

His eyes sweep over me and he smirks, perhaps noticing my lack of corset. My cheeks flush but I remind myself to stay calm and demure.

"Time to go." He says.