The Dance

****

"Gorgeous."

Jeongguk can't help but smile at the compliment, reaching for the hand Taehyung offers as he helps him from the car. The stars shine in the sky just as cameras flash, voices blending into the background. Taehyung steps even closer as the thief stands at his full height, hand dropping to Jeongguk's waist. "You had doubts?" Jeongguk teases and he can see how Taehyung's eyes drop to where his tattoos peek out from above his shirt collar, tongue wetting his lips.

Jeongguk himself is wholly distracted by how well the man cleans up. Gone are the soft grandpa sweaters and slip on sandals. Now he sees Taehyung in a suit clearly fitted to his body, diamonds in his ears and a watch that looks like it costs Jeongguk's rent and then some. There's even a hint of liner at the corner of his eyes, making his already burning gaze look twice as bright.

"Never," Taehyung swears and Jeongguk doesn't know if he'll ever get over the intensity of Taehyung's words, the sincerity of his praises. "I'm just happy that you liked my pick enough to actually wear it."

"Well," Taehyung's hand slips to the small of Jeongguk's back as they slowly step away from the car, "it's not like I had anything else to wear." They hear the crunch of tires over asphalt as it rolls away, another pulling up behind it. One of the building's attendants waves them closer, gesturing up the grand stone staircase leading in and Taehyung is quick to guide Jeongguk up. "So, what exactly is this party for?"

All Taehyung had told him over their frequent texts this past week and a half was that it was black tie only, and that while it was really more of a business function he would guarantee that Jeongguk had a good night. Frankly, Jeongguk wasn't worried about that, it was more an... overarching fear of sticking out. Bleached hair, tattoos, a tiny Pucca band-aid around his pinky from where he accidentally burned his finger on the stove.

"Oh, who knows at this point," Taehyung says with a laugh and a smile and Jeongguk finds himself copying it, leaning into Taehyung's side as they climb the stairs. The jewels hanging from his ears and the hint of gloss on his lips reflect the bright lights of the cameras, the spotlights shining into the sky only distantly highlighting the rise of Taehyung's cheekbones. If he says anything else, Jeongguk misses it - entirely distracted by the man's everything.

"Ah- Mr. Kim!" A stranger interrupts Jeongguk's thoughts, pulling both of their attentions as they finally reach the landing. A portly man scurries closer, immediately dropping into a rather deep bow. Jeongguk goes to return it on instinct but Taehyung's grip at his waist keeps him still. He glances over just in time to see the man in question give the stranger a small smile. "It is a pleasure to have you grace us with your presence."

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr...?" Taehyung trails off and the man jolts upright.

"Choi Moonsik," he supplies eagerly and Taehyung's thumb rubs over Jeongguk's ribs as he cocks his head. Jeongguk wonders why that name sounds so familiar, brow creasing in thought as the older man, - clearly middle aged if not older - anxiously clasps his hands together.

"Mr. Choi," Taehyung finishes, and Moonsik's face lights up at the recognition. "Now if you'll excuse me." He doesn't wait for a response, gently pushing Jeongguk to step around him. Moonsik drops into another bow, calling out something at their backs - well wishes, maybe, but Jeongguk doesn't quite catch it. "They're quite eager tonight, aren't they?" Taehyung laughs and Jeongguk sees how a few others give them looks as they pass, hears a few whispers as they step inside the glass doors.

Velvet curtains are draped along the walls, crystal chandeliers lighting up the vaulted ceilings far overhead. Jeongguk's eyes grow even wider as he spots an actual orchestra tucked into the corner. Men and women playing stringed instruments Jeongguk has only ever associated with fine dining and Peak Extravagance™.