The Choice

****

Something feels off. Something heavy in Jeongguk's stomach, only dragging him deeper with every day that passes.

For the first time in months Jeongguk wakes to silence, his phone free from notifications. He goes through his days in a city he doesn't call home in a fog, going through the motions. His contact notes his reticence but doesn't push, only concerned with results. Jeongguk doesn't know if he appreciates it or not but the continued distance at least gives him space to breathe. To think. He spends nearly a week in Daejeon.

And Jeongguk doesn't think he overreacted, not really, but he can't deny he regrets how he had acted. His worries are legitimate and he knows that, but he can't get the memory of Taehyung's expression out of his mind. Stunned silent, eyes wide as Jeongguk had lashed out. Within minutes their date had gone from perfect to disastrous, the night ruined with a single sentence. The domino that fell to knock down their perfect romance..

Jeongguk's expression twists as he fiddles with his phone, leg bouncing. The scenery outside the train windows flies past as they make their way back into Seoul. He hasn't gotten a single text from Taehyung. The last one is from the afternoon before their date, the man asking if he was ready as Yoongi pulled up outside of Jeongguk's apartment complex, Taehyung making his way towards Jeongguk's door when the thief had replied with an affirmative.

He scrolls through the texts slowly, rereading the sweet words Taehyung had said to him, the compliments he had paid. The little tidbits of information Taehyung would slip in casual conversation as he built this false story around himself. A claim he'd lived off the sea for a few years, another that he'd helped put Namjoon through college by working as a smuggler for quite a long time. A brief mention that Yoongi and Jimin spent years traveling Europe for their honeymoon. Saying he's traveled the world while also having put his roots in South Korea for several years now.

A timeline that doesn't add up to the years Taehyung looks, a life that doesn't fit a man who doesn't look like he's barely reached his thirties.

Jeongguk just wants to know why he can't know the truth. Wants to know why Taehyung knows full well how infatuated Jeongguk is with him, claims to care for him, and yet won't even give Jeongguk the common decency of honesty.

He jolts forward in his seat as the train slows, ripped from his thoughts. The passengers push themselves to their feet, grabbing their things, and he follows. Throws his duffle over his shoulder and cracks his back as he stretches his arms over his head. Follows the slow trail of people as they disembark and falls into line as they all meander towards the stairs to leave.

Jeongguk tugs at the sleeves of his hoodie, pulling the fabric over his fingers as a slight chill creeps up his spine, boots thumping over the concrete - but the chill dissipates in a split second as Jeongguk hits the landing, shoulder checking a man who moves to step around him.

"Oh-!", Jeongguk stumbles a bit and the man's hand snaps out, grasping at his forearm to steady him. "I'm sorry, dude," he says and he looks up at the sound of a laugh.

"It is no problem," the stranger says and Jeongguk doesn't recognize his accent. Long blonde hair is pulled away from his face, a small braid trailing behind his ear. He's quite tan despite the dropping temperatures and Jeongguk briefly wonders if he spends a lot of time in the sun wherever he's from. "You are okay?" He asks and Jeongguk blinks, realizing he's been staring.

"Oh, fuck, sorry, yeah I'm fine, thank you." Jeongguk rushes to say and the man only grins. Bright blue eyes give him a quick once over, as if checking he isn't lying, and then he finally releases Jeongguk's arm. The chill returns the moment his hand lets go.