Interlude: Jimin (The Anchor)

****

Taehyung doesn't know if he has, or ever will, see Yoongi make a face as genuinely stunned as when Jimin presses him up against the door to the crew quarters, pulling him into a kiss that makes the whole crew holler.

From then their romance is quick but passionate. They spend months being chased out of every room in the ship, lips bruised and cheeks burning red. Taehyung finds himself many times stepping into his own private quarters just to throw his hands up over his eyes at the sight of Yoongi's legs thrown over Jimin's shoulders.

However, no one can deny that they truly love each other and it is much more common to find them curled around each other up on the crow's nest, or teasing each other as they spar, or simply standing side by side and staring out across the great empty seas. Any level of attachment they had before is nearly insignificant to the level of closeness they have as a couple, arm in arm, and it's only a matter of time before they're exchanging vows.

It happens between clashes of steel and the pops of pistols in the air, blood seeping between the cracks of warping floorboards and bodies strewn across the deck as they fend off yet another attack from an unwanted king's navy. Yoongi looks delighted when Jimin calls an 'I do', and that's all Taehyung wants.

He might be old, lonely, and untrustworthy to most, might be the god with a name synonymous with disaster and cruelty, but he'll be damned if his reputation keeps his family from finding their own joy. He will never allow his own shortcomings to come in the way of his family's desires.

He gifts them both their weapons of choice: a polished blade and pistol, silver like their rings. A blade that had been forged by centuries old means, and a pistol built from the hands of masters. They stare in awe at the emerald filigree in the handle and grip and Taehyung knows they can feel the subtle waves of magic coming from the etching. He tells them the weapon will never rust, will never wear, and Yoongi holds the blade flat to his chest with a look of something deeper than gratitude.

Yet, it is his true gift that rests in the velvet pouch he pulls from behind his back, a golden apple in his palm. Jimin stares at the fruit with wide eyes and Yoongi's unoccupied hand holds Jimin's tightly. Of course Jimin knows what this means - has long since known their secrets, has lived with the knowledge of their longevity for longer than their romance as burned.

'It's for you to have forever,' Taehyung says softly, but as Jimin slowly takes the apple he shakes his head. His hand shakes as he rubs his thumb over the shining surface.

'I accept,' Jimin says, voice steady, 'but I am not taking it for Yoongi.' And the gladiator does not look surprised by the revelation, expression softening as he watches the two of them speak. 'You saved me from a life of abuse and manipulation, gave me a chance for freedom, and for love,' Jimin says and Taehyung's heart twists.

He lifts the fruit to his lips but does not take a bite, not yet.

'I've gained more than I ever thought possible,' Jimin continues, 'I'm taking it for you. And while you do not feel I owe you anything, you deserve more than just respect. So I'm going to live the most of this life you've given me,' he says. 'By your side, with our family.'

And then he takes the first bite. And then the second. The third.

Taehyung cries as finishes it off, tears in Jimin's eyes as well. Yoongi's smile wavers with his own as he reaches out and pulls the two of them to his chest, forcing Taehyung to the middle of their sandwich. 'Thank you', goes unsaid, and Taehyung would have it no other way. He does not need their thanks- that has never been why he does this.

Jimin and Yoongi's marriage leads to a honeymoon of sorts, and a temporary retirement. They spend many months, years, traveling around the countryside on foot as they leave their pirate life behind- for now anyway.

And, it was a nice respite for a while.

But the world continues to move even if they do not and they find themselves caught up in the thick of it yet again, ending up in a city near and dear to a few of their hearts. A land of kings and war and neverending political grandstanding. A land that once laid the groundwork for a plague that ravaged millions.

Hoseok, for one, seems happy they are back.

It is only too bad that they arrive when the city is ripe with murder.

****