before you go

riley's pov

I smiled softly at James, our foreheads rested gently against each other as the last strums of Luke's guitar slowly faded out. I had felt a lot of emotions over the course of the past few days, both good and bad, but right now I just felt content. James looked down at me lovingly and placed a soft, lingering kiss on my forehead, his lips staying there for a few moments before he pulled away and turned his head.

"Thanks for that Luke," he said, smiling in the direction of his friend.

"No worries man," he replied before reaching over to unplug his guitar from the amp. I remained cuddled up to James, the side of my head firmly pressed up against his muscular chest.

"Hey man, did you want a hand with packing all this up?" James asked Luke, gesturing towards the centre of studio A.

"Nah don't worry about it, we'll fix it up," Luke told him as Theo and John made their way back into the studio with impeccable timing.
I felt James place a soft kiss on my hair before pulling his arms away from me, making me instantly miss him. He quickly took my hand though and pulled me over to his bandmates. The boys stood and joked for a few minutes whilst I stood there and occasionally laughed. Soon enough, James and I thanked the boys for all of their efforts and headed out to James's car. We rode through the streets towards his house in comfortable silence, one of his hands on the steering wheel and the other rested gently on my leg. I reached my right hand down and laced my fingers between his, both of us just enjoying the feeling of being near each other for one of the last times for a while.

"Hey babe, I was thinking since we didn't really eat dinner, do you wanna grab some takeout or something on the way?" He asked me, turning his head in my direction.
I laughed at his comment, typical James; he practically has to eat a horse for every meal.

"Is that a sign for shawarma?" I asked, quoting James.

"You said it yourself, let's go," he smiled, taking a left towards his favourite shawarma spot. 15 minutes later and with two warm shawarmas, we found ourselves back in the car and headed towards James's house. It would just be us tonight as his whole family were out of town for a wedding which James had to miss because of his flight tomorrow. I was really looking forward to spending time with him and being able to have 100% of his attention before he left.

james's pov

I pulled up into the driveway of my house and quickly jumped out of the car. I walked over to Ri's door to open it for her as she was carrying both of our shawarmas. We quickly made our way to the doorstep and stepped inside; the house a warm contrast to the slightly bitter evening. Riley and I headed into my lounge room, I collapsed onto the long end of the couch and Riley followed soon after. She handed me my shawarma and scooted closer to me. After unwrapping my dinner, which I quickly began to devour, I placed my free arm around Ri's shoulders and pulled her closer to me.

We continued to eat in silence for a few minutes, just enjoying being close and warm. I finished mine before Riley (obviously), then gazed down to look at her. I noticed she wasn't really eating much, just taking small little bites now and then.

"Baby, what's up?" I asked gently, "do you not like it?"

"No, no it's great Jay, I'm just not that hungry," she said, looking back to the wrap.
I pulled my hand from my side and rested it under her chin, tilting her face to meet my gaze. She looked up at me with those beautiful brown eyes, looking rather bashful.

"Riles," I pressed, "you can tell me anything sweetie..."

No response.

"Is it about the trip?" I questioned, looking down at her. I noticed a tear brimming in the corner of her eye, threatening to spill. She quickly looked down and blinked it away before looking back at me and slowly nodding her head.