Hogwarts Will Always Be There To Welcome You Home

Hogwarts looked majestic as ever in the mid-afternoon sun. It had always held a dear place in your heart, after-all you had spent most of your adolescent life there. Your best friends were made in the Ravenclaw dorms, where long nights filled with laughter turned into the small hours of the morning. You sneakily kissed your first boy near the Whomping Willow...kissed your first girl there, too.

Even the hours of study and practice conjured feelings of warmth because, even though it was difficult, it had formed you into a great witch. The memories painted a smile on your face. You even had your old Ravenclaw tie and jumper with you, it was packed up with your stuff; mementos you could never seem to part with.

Of course, they were not all bright memories but not many regrets ghosted the halls of Hogwarts for you. That's why you were back. No unwanted faces, no feelings of failure or shame. A fresh start in an old place.

Hagrid escorted you from the station to the entrance of Hogwarts, you were glad of the company but you found you had actually remembered the route yourself, even after 7 years. He filled you in on a few tidbits but said he felt he should leave certain things to Dumbledore, stating, "I don't want to put my foot in anythin'.'" He hadn't changed a bit. Except for his beard, which was definitely longer and a little rattier.

When you met Professor McGonagall, she was ready with open arms; you had been one of her best pupils whilst at Hogwarts and excelled in her transfiguration classes. When she heard you were coming to work at Hogwarts she had sent you an owl immediately, congratulating you.

"Professor, it's so very good to see you." You beamed at your old mentor.

"You too, dear, and less of the Professor, please." She replied.

"Oh yes, sorry...Minerva," you emphasised her name and smiled. She was the matriarchal figure that you lacked at home in your teenage years and seeing her again eased the nerves you had let build in your stomach. The long train journey from London had given you enough time to fret, nap, read and fret some more.

"Now, we're going straight into a meeting, Y/N, not ideal I know, but at least you can get all your introductions done," Minerva spoke as you walked down the halls that lead to Dumbledore's office. The nerves reacquainting themselves with your stomach.

Dumbledore's office hadn't changed. Books sat in every corner of the room even though he had an extensive library surrounding his desk and odd contraptions lay on any surface available; some were recognisable but a number of them were foreign to you. Pictures, mainly of old sleeping men, donned his walls. His desk was grand and ornate; certainly, furniture befitting the Headmaster of one of the finest Wizarding schools. Dumbledore sat behind the desk on an equally grand chair and was in conversation with Professor Snape, you bit your cheek at the sight of him.

Professor Snape had joined the school around halfway through your time there and had become your Potions teacher. Most people hated him; he was obscenely strict, set very high standards, and did not hide his dislike for children. You had managed to stay mostly unscathed when it came to his punishments, though you did serve detention with him once for a slight explosion in your 5th year. You had redeemed yourself by 7th year and for the most part, he left you alone; some of your friends were less fortunate.

Minerva ushered you further into the office and cleared her throat, which attracted the attention of the two men.

"Ah, Miss y/l/n." Dumbledore rose slowly from his chair "I take it your journey was comfortable?" He shook your hand delicately.

"Yes, Professor. All went well, thank you." You smiled politely and your eyes flickered to the man standing beside him, he stood staunch, chest out, hands behind his back. His face was a blank canvas, black hair framing his high cheekbones.